6000 pounds at southampton

G

I have been offered a stipend of 6000 pounds I was wondering if this enough to cover my living costs.I am an international student. Thnx

G

definitely not

G

6000? Definately not. Many stipends are 12 000, the UK is a very expensive place to be. If you have no other option you could take it and then find a weekend job to cover the rest, but that doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

G

No, do not do this! Most research jobs are over £10,000. Look around for better jobs.

Whilst £6000 is not a large stipend and will not leave you enough money for many return trips home, you should be able to get by. If this is the best offer you have then it may be worth taking. Remember most international students in the UK receive no stipend and have to pay very large amounts in course fees - funding is hard to come by.

Speak to the university about accommodation costs - are there any low cost options available for people in your situation. Also find out if you will be able to do any demonstrating or tutorial work whilst studying.

G

600/12 means 500 pounds a month accomodation plus bills will be 200-300 do you really think someone could survive with 200 pounds a month 9000 pounds a year are already an abuse please dont accept

G

don't do it!

G

It's very low, but I suspect international students would be grateful to be offered any funding. Try explaining to the Uni that you've calculated living costs and that you feel that £6k/yr could lead to financial hardships that would distract from your studies. Ideally, they should double it.

G

Most people have said 'no', but I want to add my voice to the 'yes' crowd. Overseas students find it very hard to get funding in the UK, and the fees are very high if you try to pay them yourself. If you don't have any other offers, then this is worth serious consideration - remember that if you get into real hardship the university will probably have an emergency fund that could help you, and there's always a bit of tutorial work floating around. Good luck!

G

Thank You all those who gave me this advice. Really Helpful.