A non-lab PhD in Forensic Science proposal - Mission Impossible

D

Hi,

Im interested in doing a PhD in Forensic Science. My current area of interests are DNA profiling, crime scene DNA evidence collection and forensic entomology. All of these are lab based interests so I hope you can see my problem.

I guess you are wondering why I dont just do a lab based project? Unfortunately, Im in my 30s and have a family and cannot afford to quite my current job biotechnology business manager to become a student again.

Im doing this PhD for personal reasons and to enhance my knowledge and interest in the topics of DNA profiling. I used to work for the FSS several years ago but quit since I could not survive as a family man with their poor pay.

I am having great difficulty in thinking of a non lab based approach to study and investigate a problem in Forensic Science DNA profiling or any of the topics that I am interested in. Ive been reading various papers for a year now and still cannot come up with something that is PhD worthy that is not lab based.

I could ask supervisors to think of a project for me but I guess I will be shooting myself in the foot and already showing them that Im incapable of thinking myself.

Im on the point of quiting my dream now and accept that I will never have a PhD. I could go do it full time but I have dependents and cannot be that selfish.

Anyone else in a simmilar situation or any scientists doing a non lab based science PhD?