A Positive Thread: Anyone out there staying sane???

B

Okay, fair enough. I hope people continue to feel able to post negatively and positively on this forum. It's so important! Glad things are going well for you, Rosy - keep up the good work.

T

Insensitive/offensive??? How do you reach that conclusion???

As for myself, well I don't think my PhD has affected my sanity at all (Mind you who is to say I was sane before I started!). I got more stressed and felt under more pressure with my undergrad degree than I have with this.

I really enjoy what I do, have great supervisors and work in a really friendly/happy/supportive research group... and going by what other people have said I think that all of these factors play a major part in how you fare through the PhD process.

O

I think that Rosy was trying to focus on what people can do to survive the PhD in good form, with recognition that anyone is prone to having a bad time with this, given the stressors and working conditions presented. I think her idea of finding out how people DO cope is important. I have full sympathy and empathy for anyone who is struggling with anxiety, depression and the like in the midst of their PhD. The PhD really invites this kind of response--so understanding how people are working to cope and stay well is important!