A question of ethics?

P

Hi all,
Just to let you know that I bit the bullet and resigned today. I couldn't live with 'using' the people in the lab or staying on just to take the money.
Most people were pretty gobsmacked (I think I'm the first person to ever quit the lab) but equally they were happy (if that's the right word) that I went now rather than later. My supervisor also agreed that it was much better for him that I chose to quit when I did.

So there you go. If you are considering quitting or are not sure what move to make I hope this helps in some way. Right now I'm both relieved and worried as I've finally taken the decision I've been wanting to take for 6 months but I've moved from a stable certain future to one with no wages and a whole heap of uncertainty :-(. I can only hope that it will prove to be the right decision - but only time will tell.

thanks once again for the advice everyone.... :-)

P

H

Well done for taking the step. It does require guts, no matter how strong your desire to leave was, so I hope there is some sense of satisfaction for you in having made a definite decision.

Good luck for whatever your next move is.(up)

Hazy

P

that's an interesting "turn of events". well, i wish you all the best, Pseudonym.
i find it interesting that you felt this all was a question of ethics (title of your post) - no, i understand it is about your integrity, whether to pretend to wanting to continue when that is not the case etc, and in the end it is your personal judgement call. i dont think you would have done something "unethical" though, if you had stayed on for now and left later. good luck with the teaching career.:-)

B

Well done on making a decision and sticking to it (that takes ba**s), and it's apparent from your post that this was the right thing for you to do.

I wish you all the best in the future, and ... don't worry, things always have a habit of panning themselves out (i.e. you'll be ok).