a treat for yourself after submission

V

I was jsut thinking today about a nice treat that I could have after submission of my Thesis...nothing comes in my stressed, sleep deprived mind;( Any ideas from your experiences or crazy stuggestions?:)

C

oh i don't think you want to be asking that, verdy. You might be surprised the answers you get

A

well, my treat is going to be reading a few fiction books without feeling guilty that I should be reading something research-related.

R

mine is quite innocent: I would like 3 months of travelling discovering unexplored landscapes, meeting interesting people, drink wine nearby a campfire, listen to some relaxing music, have some good food etc. Most importantly to be away from writing, paperwork, waiting for responses, searching literature etc. Be away from the academic world!

P

I'm going to drink a whole bottle of very expensive champagne all to myself (and without using a glass)

From seeing other friends submit, I know it can be a real anti-climax and can leave you feeling a bit lost. A proper 2 or more week hol would be perfect but if that's pricey you could so something different like go on a national trust working holiday. I like the idea of being away from technology and doing something practical like dry stone walling..!

S

how about going on a week of cycling holiday, with your tent and gas cooker packed, with a good friend? cycling is great - you can talk when you want to, but you can also just enjoy the ever changing landscape silently. you are always busy (either putting the tent up or taking it down, cooking or eating or doing the dishes or some laundry, or cycling) so you don't have time to fret, whilst simultaneously it is very relaxing - after a day or two your dissertation will be (literally) miles away!

O

I agree with Shani. There is nothing better and more relaxing than camping with a bycicle. You just ride away with a sleeping bag and a tent and stop wherever you like and stay as long as you want. In fact, I'm off to exactly that trip in Europe, so won't be here the next four weeks. Arrivederci.

S

hey o.stoll, enjoy!

H

A visit to a posh spa for a massage and facial and and ......

C

The bike/camping trip sounds like fun!

S

I'm with alibi - I've got so much stuff I want to read, and even non-fiction (shock!). I want to learn new things just for fun, with no standards and deadlines to meet...

S

Shopping spree in Karen Millen for me - feck travelling and reading, I want new shoes!!!

S

...I was supposed to be saving the new harry potter book for post-submission, but since it will be arriving on my doorstep on Saturday morning, I have a feeling I won't be able to wait until I submit, but being a reader & cyclist, I like both those ideas (well also like the champers without a glass idea ;o)) I'm trying to think of something cheap to do after submission too. Friends do always look rather deflated. Hmmm, would like to do something with other half, but he's up to his eyeballs in work so all we're going to be able to manage is a nice weekend away somewhere secluded by the sea... looking forward to it... just trying to work out best bet for which weekend to book!!! I'm not known for sticking to deadlines...

S

...how about... after drinking the champagne & a bit of sleep... buying a train ticket, and travel around for a week or two just seeing friends & family that you haven't seen for ages?! In between peruse art galleries, sit in cafe's watching the world go by, look after friends kids for a day - take them to the zoo... If you're like me, you've neglected many friends, not met friends kids (even though they're nearly at school) & craving a bit of culture. Enjoy!

A

ooooh, I like the champagne idea too - but I may save that for after completion. And I definitely have a lot of catching up to do with people I have been promising to visit for the last few years.