Abstract length?

N

Hey all
Is 500 too much???????

muchos gracias for any help (up)

A

guidelines where I'm at is 300 words. At the moment mine is 326 so I need to trim it a bit. As far as I know it shouldn't go over one page. I have my thesis in 1.5 spacing and it fits - 3 paras and a couple of lines to spare. btw mine is a social science thesis

N

cheers Ady, I think Im just in denial of cutting out what I think is important ;-)... im in social sciences as well.

C

My uni guidelines stated "it should not usually be longer than 1 page". there was a guy submitting at the same as me who had a two page abstract and the administrator commented on it. He just said "my supervisor told me to do that" and they accepted it.

I just checked and my abstract is 415 words. I had to change my layout slightly to fit it onto one page (I had 20 pt spacing between paragraphs in the main thesis and 10 pts for the abstract).

B

My abstract was 299 words long, and with the spacing I had to use that only just fitted in 1 page. 500 words sounds way too much, even if you did it as as single spacing. It's going to feel like a lot for the examiners to read. You probably need to trim much more. What are the most important things you need to say.

S

mine is just over 200- but guidelines state no more than 250...

L

Check with the University and someone who has recently submitted. I believed until a few months before submission that there were no restrictions on length of abstract (as the University guidelines said nothing). It was only when I came to fill an "intention to submit" form that this wasn't the case. It had to fit into a certain space on a form, if I remember correctly this corresponded to about a page of A4 when formatted appropriately for the thesis.