Academia: Conservative or Liberal? New ideas wanted?

O

Just interested in what other's impressions are. I had a vision of academia as progressive, churning out new ideas, unafraid of the political correctness of things in the pursuit of knowledge, and eager to push the envelope. Now I am not so sure. Well, in fact, I have a strong impression of an over-riding conservative-ism in academia, where new ideas are looked upon askance, and the absolute hierarchy of the academic institution in general ( not a single university, just the whole thing as an abstract system) frowns upon innovation, new ideas, etc, as really upsetting the ( what is the metaphor, well whatever) cart, the eggs?? any way, rocks the status quo, and academia really LIKES its hierarchical status quo. Its not iconoclastic friendly....

O

its important to adhere to the written and unwritten rules of academia, not the least of which is the rigid hierarchical pecking orders. Maybe I am just in a particularly conservative branch of academia ( law--not noted for being wild-eyed and progressive), but am wondering what other people think or have experienced.

L

Hi olivia,
I have found a bit of that in Irish studies but in drama theyre pretty proressive and they do get all excited about new things in the field.
Does that help any?