Academia in the middle east, would you?

C

Hi All.

Given the financial climate in the UK, and the funding issues for Universities, I wondered about the prospects of working in the Middle East.

What's your experience? Of getting in and getting out ? Once you leave the UK academic scene is it more difficult to get back in?

Have any of you considered the move? Be really good to hear your views.

Ta Chuff

E

To telli you the truth, personally I wouldn't do it...
Being a woman and a christian (although not a good one) and hearing about what is happening there, I wouldn't choose to work there...

But this is only my opinion....

J

Having just found out I am 99% likely to be made redundant in July I would go anywhere there was a job

no, because I'd be scared about my dog, either her being taken cos she's so lovely or eating a scorpion or something (do they have those???)

If I didn't have a dog, or a husband I'd consider it - I'm not the most adventurous type though. I'd probably go on FCO guidelines I suppose on what was safe and what wasn't.

C

Good idea Sneaks

I'm going to have a read about,  there seem a lot of opportunities in Saudi etc.. but I'm not adventurous either - maybe I should start.

I'm concerned about the climate ( in more ways than one ) ... just seems so different.

Its something to consider though especially for those like JC - very sorry for your news.

Chuff

I'm not particularly 'up on' the middle east - I see it on the news, but have no real idea what's what - in my mind its just a blank spot on the map where 'things go on'. I know I know, I am an idiot. But my brain is 90% PhD worry and 10% what shall I make for dinner worry most days and the middle east is too big to squeeze in.

I'm quite pale so would worry about sun burn lol :$

Maybe try Phinnished and see if anyone there is working there? or maybe someone on academia.edu and ask opinions?

A

I know a couple of woman who have gone teaching (post-primary) in the Middle East and it has worked out well for them but they did it as part of a very definite life plan, and always intended returning home. I don't think they saw it as part of advancing their career but rather it was a chance to save a good chunk of money towards buying a house etc. I think it needs research on your part as there are certainly issues for women to factor in that men need not.

Interesting to hear from anybody who has lived and worked somewhere in the Middle East...

C

Hi

Being from an English as a Foreign Language teaching background, I do know a few people who've taught out in the Middle East. If you're a woman kind of under 40 ish, you may find it more challenging - it would be a huge change in lifestyle, which you essentially have no choice about. Most of the British females I know who've gone out there have either been older (which seems to be easier on the respect front) or who've got involved in a relationship there, which has clearly then defined the rest of their life.

However, that to one side (I wouldn't go but many have), the money is extremely good!

Oh, and do bear in mind that it can frequently get to 50 degrees during the summer in SA. My SA students tell me how much they love England for its temperate climate!

H

The Middle East is such a broad term that it is difficult to give you advice unless you are more specific. I have lived in SA and Egypt, and personally I would recommend working there (in general, I'm not so sure about the academic circles). Most of the jobs are tax free, the climate is good, and though the culture is different, people are friendly and generally very accommodating and respectful.

The best bet would be to get a job with the American and British Universities there.