Academic life in continental Europe v the UK

M

I'm looking at applying for lecturer/ass.prof jobs at English-speaking programmes/uni's in continental Europe (particularly Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany)? Does anyone here have experience of working/applying for entry-level academic jobs?

I'm trying to ascertain if there are any particular differences between some European continental countries v the UK in terms of what's expected from an entry level academic. E.g. do they respect UK educated academics? Do they have an open door recruitment policy like the UK (or will they recruit home-grown talent)? Do they expect more publications than the UK? Is the job tough? (I've always found non-UK EU academics to be a happy bunch cf. to UK academics!!).

R

Hi Misspacey,

I think in all countries a high level is expected, yet there are cultural differences. For example in the Netherlands amosphere and working relations are perhaps less formal than in countries like Germany or Belgium. The dutch university system is very english minded and UK educated academics are well respected. For instance at the Maastricht University lectures are often in english as there are many international students.

However for all three countries I think it really helps if you speak the national language, does not have to be perfect, yet at least to have a basic level. Jobs are advertised in the newspapers and, in principle, are open for all with the right qualifications.

B

The Netherlands is much more open to foreign academics than the other two. Belgian universities in particular seem to favour their own PhD graduates. You're right to say, it can be a nice life: there's no RAE / REF so MUCH less pressure on the research front, but there are other snags, such as low pay and lack of independence in what you research depending on what your main professor is like. It really depends a lot on the place. The money isn't great either, even with lower costs of living. You might find this site aimed at Marie Curie post docs helpful http://mcfa.eu/site/public/welcomePacks.php - also somebody sent me a report by the European University Institute on academic recruitment in other EU countries that would be worth googling.
But the last poster is also right - unless you're willing to learn the relevant language(s) quickly (I think the Netherlands usually expects you to be able to teach in Dutch within 2 years), you would find it limiting and potentially isolating even in the few English-speaking programmes (often they're not that English-speaking behind the scenes!).

M

Thanks for the replies! I'm drawn to the Netherlands - the pay looks quite decent from what I've seen on job advertisements (3,500-4,000 per mth, but the tax system is punishing).

P

Hey misspacey, here's my perspective from another angle. I work on a pan EU project and am interacting with academics from all these countries. Hmm, perhaps you will find some *systems* different. Portugal for instance has a 2 yr much more comprehnsive masters than the UK, PhD systems in Germany are different (i.e. you cannot become a professor without completing a second thesis, hence German profs are called Prof.Dr.So and So). I just returned from a conference in the Netherlands and find that most speak English, they are warm and approachable and host many international scholars. France I hear is slightly old fashioned in terms of technology use in classrooms, however these may all be one off experiences.

For sure though, it will be a cultural difference. Of course, that goes without saying. And for me personally, although I speak French moderately OK, whenever I have visited non UK Europe, the first adjustment has doubtless had to do with language and my first query was how deep does their English go (i.e. is it only on paper or does it run deeper). I personally find it difficult, even isolating to be in a place where you approach everyone slightly tentatively, worried that you may be too fast/too weird/ or just incomprehensible even, because of the language issue.

Make sure you're comfortable with that, altough having spent 3 days with Dutch academics and students, I wouldn't say there is a need to worry!

M

======= Date Modified 10 Jul 2009 11:18:18 =======
Thanks for the info. PhDbug. The Netherlands seems the best bet because they don't get hung up on language issues (eg. when you speak to a Dutch person in Dutch, they immediately switch to English). I don't speak fluent French/German, so they're out of the question. The programmes I'd teach on would all be in English, and I know lots of people who work in the Netherlands and don't speak a word of Dutch (although I would make every effort to do so). I also find the Dutch a very friendly bunch.

My main concern is finding a country with decent pay and the ability to buy a house and is not bogged down with the bureaucracy that blights the UK (eg the RAE/REF).