academic politics - how do u deal with it

E

i just want to do my phd but it seems i am being used as a pawn for academic politics...I was so angry yesterday. My supervisor amde me feel tiny in front of my other supervisor. I AM SO ANGRY. i cudnt sleep cos of that anger.

E

cheers mate. Its a long story but basically my second supervisor (who hasnt completed her phd yet) makes me look really stupid in front of my first supervisor... when we are on our own she is really nice but then she gets really competitive with her ideas and stuff. She always down plays my shite.. i know i am nothing in front of those 2 btu ... ARGH I AM going MAD. its like i am in competition with my supervisor!!

A

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Just let it wash over you, you'll be the better person for not getting involved in petty politics (although it's *really* annoying!)

J

is this person also a student?

J

*duh* of course they are given that they are doing a phd. i mean is this 2nd super someone who has spent bags of time in industry and has just ventured back into academia?

H

Doing a phd for the past 10 years, is that not slightly worrying.....?????? Surely if she can't even finish her own, she shouldnt be "supervising". Unless of course she needs studies that take over 10 years to carry out.

It's obviously a big problem, you need to talk to the "mean" supervisor and tell her that you don't appreciate being treated like that. If she's not understanding, threaten her by burning her work, if its taken 10 years to do, she will be worried!

M

I've noticed that the smaller people are the more mean they can be.
What I mean is that people who just finished their PhD, or just got a job at uni are pain.
They are really mean at all kinds of assaignments trying to show off how superior they are.
People who work with students for ages, having loads of qualifications are secure with their position and don't demand respect from everyone. Everyone respects them for what they are. They are more understanding and friendly.

It is hard, but it really proves their value, try to remember it's actually pathetic.