Accepted an offer then got another...

J

I was offered a phd at my current university and a few days ago I accepted it. It is fully funded, starts in the autumn and the techniques I would be using are closely related to the sort of area I think that I would really like to go into afterwards. The research looks interesting and the supervisor has been really helpful.

However, I applied to another phd a while ago which is in the area I would really like to work in. I had an interview there and then heard nothing for about 6 weeks. The day after I accepted the other offer I got an offer from them. The problem is I have already accepted the other offer so if I am going to change my mind I have to do so very very soon. Also this was the first interview I went to so I didn't know what to ask and as a result I have much less of an idea of what to expect from this project. They don't have definite funding yet and the earliest start date would be around Easter.

I'm really not sure what to do. I don't want to let the supervisor for the first project down, however I know that he would rather have a student who was really enthusiastic and right now I'm just not sure and I don't feel like I have time to think about it.

S

If you think you can really work with the first supervisor, and that they will be helpful and supportive, then snap their hand off! Decent supervisors are worth their weight in gold, and they, more than passion/interest in the subject will get you a PhD

T

Hello Josie,

How are you enjoying your Studies. Please can you give me an idea of the questions you were asked during your Phd interview. I am planning attending one very soon.

Regards
Tony