Accommodation Edinburgh

L

Hi,

I'm currently a student at Birmingham, but I've been accepted to study for a Ph.D in maths at Edinburgh next year, so obviously I'll need somewhere to live in Edinburgh, I've been told that there is no guarantee that I'll be offered university accommodation as this is prioritized towards Non-EU students, and that I should look for accommodation in the private sector. I just wondered what the best way of going about this was, I mean I take it that it's something every Ph.D student has to do, it just seems a little daunting and I'm not even sure what I'm looking for? Do I look for a shared house and move in with people that happen to have a spare room? Or is there somewhere that I can potentially contact students who are starting next year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Leigh

G

Hey Leighmo, congratulations on the PhD offer, and what a fantastic city to spend 3 years doing it. You will have a great time I am sure. I myself am a PhDer in Glasgow, but have moved around quite alot over the last 10 years with uni and career etc. Good website that I use when searching for private accommodation is www.gumtree.com. At the very least it will give you an idea of what is available in the private sector. Dependent on your financial situation, I would suspect that shared accommodation will be the most viable option for you, as renting a place on your own can be quite expensive. Just make sure that you take some time out to visit potential places and get a feel for the housemates. By in large in my own experience I have 95% of the time got on very well with the people I have shared with, but when you don't it can make life hell!!! Alternatively, try this website http://www.unite-students.com/student-accommodation-edinburgh - this is basically a company run halls of residence, i.e. caters specifically for students. Can be a bit pricey compared to private renting, but is accommodation specifically for students and tends to be on the high quality side. Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck!!!

B

Hi for accommodation in Edinburgh please check www.gumtree.com and check the links under Edinburgh.....this is the ultimate site!!!

P

Hi Leighmo.
I found The List really useful. In print or online http://www.list.co.uk/flatshare/
Happy house/flat hunting...