Accountability Partners - Write your Dissertation in 15 Minutes a Day

B

Just posted a congrats to you Lara on your viva page. It's really great to read how well Lara has done after all the hard work and effort. I can't ever imagine getting a thesis to first draft never mind getting to the viva stage. Like Emmie I would like to get into the habit of Lara's trick on writing done when things are done! How far on are you Emmie. I am coming to the end of my third year very little writing done but planning to write at least the methodology and findings chapters in the next 3-4 months.

E

Quote From bulbs:

Just posted a congrats to you Lara on your viva page. It's really great to read how well Lara has done after all the hard work and effort. I can't ever imagine getting a thesis to first draft never mind getting to the viva stage. Like Emmie I would like to get into the habit of Lara's trick on writing done when things are done! How far on are you Emmie. I am coming to the end of my third year very little writing done but planning to write at least the methodology and findings chapters in the next 3-4 months.

I've just started 2nd year but I've got a load of writing to do so I thought this might be a good way to motivate me! I do plan on writing as I go so that's the plan anyway... I've just read Bolker' book so that's given me a big motivation to write.. Sure give the DONE! thing a go and see how you get on!

Today I did absolutely feck all.. Well I did print out two papers lol :p No writing at all just got distracted by PhD admistratroy crappy things eugh.. and got quite stressed with all the crap I have to do and that was just totally counterproductive!! Oh well new day tomorrow!

R

A custom dissertation needs a piece of writing to be submitted within a deadline. This work must be original and comprehensive. A glance must show that student has made a comprehensive study of dissertation topic.

Term Paper
Thesis Writing
Dissertation

L

Quote From bulbs:

aww I know i saw!! thank you so much Bulbs!! you're such a trooper! :)

aww so cute how you guys are using the DONE method!! awesome! :-)

believe me, no one doubted themselves MORE in the history of phds than ME in even getting a rough draft of their thesis. what got me through, was Joan Bolkers advive.

"everyday is more important than how much time you spend, or how many pages you produce or the quality"

L

Well i'm officially back and joining you guys! :-)

My goals for today are: getting started on the minor amendments to my thesis, I will first tackle the 2 paragraphs i have to add to my thesis.

1. find all my final chapter word documents, and pray that they are compatible with 2007. or maybe edit the final PDF instead. maybe easier.might have to buy the full version of adobe.

2. zero draft of paragraph A
3. zero draft of paragraph B

4. first draft of paragraph A
5. first draft of paragraph B

6 final draft of paragraph A
7 final draft of paragraph A

8. final read and check through paragraph A and B
9. email internal examiner paragraph A and B tommorow.

W

Lara, don't buy Adobe Acrobat!!! You can download a free add-on from Microsoft Office Online that will let you save any word documents as a .pdf - at the click of a button. If you have any parts of your chapters that are not in Word format, you can use free software to turn them into .pdfs. Don't spend anything.

L

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

Lara, don't buy Adobe Acrobat!!! You can download a free add-on from Microsoft Office Online that will let you save any word documents as a .pdf - at the click of a button. If you have any parts of your chapters that are not in Word format, you can use free software to turn them into .pdfs. Don't spend anything.

Thanks!! yah its way too expensive!! i downloaded the 30 day free trial. so now i definately gotta get a move on with getting it done hehe.

thanks you're right! will use free software instead :) thanks buddy!

L

oh no i've not only caught the cold bug, but also the procrastination bug! all i wanna do is sit on my butt with a big warm fuzzy blanket and watch my dvds and drink something warm and soothing.

but i have the corrections to do! and this tricky paragraph that i have to write that i have no clue about.

okay time to take drastic actions and get the drill sergeant involved! and also use the good ol card trick and to break down my goals into teeny tiny ones.

my goals:

1. find all relevant information regarding paragraph B
2. write a zero draft of paragraph B

B

Hi Lara, I know its really selfish thing to say, but is nice to have you back if only for a short time while you do your corrections. You do start to miss people on the forum! I read your reply on your congrats thread that you will pop in and out of the forum even when you have completed your corrections. I think that's so thoughtful of you and I for one would be so happy to have your advise and tips and to know you will come back into the forum now and again if only to say hello and offer your support which is so appreciated. I haven't been on this thread for a while now got lots of admin type things to get down as soon as I am DONE with those! I will be back again to declare my goals, so mucchhhh to do its seems just too big right now! Good luck with your corrections Lara, am sure you will be done and get finished up soon, its just the last tiny hurdle or hoop you have to jump through.

Hi Folks, I hope you don't mind if I join you. I haven't read the Bolker book, but this seems like a good way to motivate and keep track of myself, I'm sat here in my pyjamas, willing myself to have a productive day, so I'm going to give this a go.

Aims for the day (after getting dressed!)

Work on my second case study chapter outline:

1. Establish the important points I want to make in this chapter.
2. Work out a clear structure for my second case study chapter outline, in light of my new approaches, and new, improved writing style.
3. Re-write the chapter outline in light of the above.

I'd like to get this done by about 6pm, when I get ready for my dance class.

B

Hi Eska, welcome. I have only been here a couple of weeks on this thread and find it helpful to keep track of progress when I can. Hope you had a good dance class! Today for me was another wash out, nothing done. Had to go to the Uni and I feel tired now to go to events etc. I just want to be at home and get on with my work because I feel really pressured now. Anyway..... I will declare some of my goals for tomorrow and see how I get on.

1 - finish one transcription
2 - work on transcript
3 - read one 1-2 forms for next weeks meeting

Hi Bulbs, Shame you had a rubbish day; here's to a better one tomorrow.

I did Ok, got through about 3/4 of the way through writing the chapter outline and worked for half an hour after my dance class. So next time I need to:

1. Collect some more information.
2. Finish writing this chapter outline, including the conclusion.
3. Start writing the next chapter outline.

Yeah, thanks, the dance class was great, as usual; it's belly dancing, and there's this bit at the start where we all stand in circle and shout. It's very good for stress!

Good luck tomorrow, I'm at work tomorrow so will probably be back on at the weekend. X:-)

My aims for today are:

1. Read for a couple of hours.

2. Finish writing the first draft of the second chapter outline, including the conclusion.

3. Maybe start planning the third chapter outline.

L

======= Date Modified 10 Oct 2009 20:33:39 =======

Quote From bulbs:

Hi Lara, I know its really selfish thing to say, but is nice to have you back if only for a short time while you do your corrections. You do start to miss people on the forum! I read your reply on your congrats thread that you will pop in and out of the forum even when you have completed your corrections. I think that's so thoughtful of you and I for one would be so happy to have your advise and tips and to know you will come back into the forum now and again if only to say hello and offer your support which is so appreciated. I haven't been on this thread for a while now got lots of admin type things to get down as soon as I am DONE with those! I will be back again to declare my goals, so mucchhhh to do its seems just too big right now! Good luck with your corrections Lara, am sure you will be done and get finished up soon, its just the last tiny hurdle or hoop you have to jump through.

Aww thank you so much!! so nice of you to say :-)

i've been really bad!! i keep procrastinating, and i cant get this one paragraph written! gah!!! its really stressing me out. i dont know about the subject, so not even sure if its correct. i think im just gonna do the best i can, and send it to my internal examiner to check thats what he wants. otherwise i can see myself spending another week on ONE paragraph!!

okay time to get serious!!

my goals for tonight.

1. finish 1st draft of paragraph B. DONE ! (finally!) :-)

2. re-read and check paragraph B and finalise.

3. write 1st draft of paragraph A

4. finalise draft of paragraph A

5. final read and check for typos

6. email paragraph A and B to internal examiner by TONIGHT!!!! so i can relax tommorow and work on the minor typos.

Hi Lara, Good luck tonight! Must be frustrating to be doing this now, but we know you can do it.

Today I read for about 4 hours, then finished the first draft of my chapter outline, and I've decided to re-draft it tomorrow before moving on to the next one. So tomorrow morning I:

1. Re-draft the 2nd case study chapter outline.

Then celebrate my friend's daughter's first birthday.