Accountability Partners - Write your Dissertation in 15 Minutes a Day

C

Hey just to thank you guys for your support this week. It has really helped knowing other people are working and to write down my goals. I tend to work in binges on the last minute, so it's good to have an incentive to work more consistently in smaller chunks. And much less stressful in the long-run!

Anyway, I handed in a draft of chapter 3 (10,153 words) this morning. It will face a barrage of criticism, I think, and is dodgy in places. It will also probably finally end up about 15,000 words. But at least I have a basis to work on now. This accountability thread has really helped!

I'm taking the rest of this evening off. But I'll be back tomorrow. Well done everyone, and keep on going!

L

OKie dokie, wll I didnt get time to sign in and post some aims cos me internet is being silly but now its working, my progress today has been dubious but progress nonetheless.
I have continued exploring what exactly im trying to get across with my paper and have been working toward making it clear.
I have organised a research tour tomorrow round the site used for the production I will be talking about. So prime op for pictures and grilling the guides. How exciting a tour round a disused prison!
So im going to continue here tonight with my paragraph plan.

See u all tomorrow
x

A

Hi All,

Well, sad to report that I didn't reach ANY of my goals today! I had a very busy day of field work - its 11:15 here in Argentina and I'm stil working with my research participants. So, I'm just going to have count this a lost day and try again tomorrow.

Hope you all were far more productive!

B

I think this is the best thread I've seen on here in a long time! Very motivational, useful and community-spirited. Well done, Anthropologa and Lara for keeping us all going.

L

thanks bakuvia

i agree, it was a fantastic idea by Anthropolaga!

---
and a good morning to the rest of the A-team! hehe. hope you are all well. and well done on everyone working hard.

*confession from yesterday*

finished 1 section of my results section. so i only managed to get 1/3 done of my first aim. took me 6 hours to complete 1 section. by late evening, i was so tired, so i had dinner and didn't return and fell asleep.
----

aims today:

1. section 2 of results (chapter 4)
2. section 3 of results (chapter 4)
3. discussion of chapter 4.
---

good luck with your work today people!

L

*comes in for midday confession*

just spent 4 hours sorting out my computer. it refused to turn back on! after hours of frustration and safe mode and system restore, got it to work again. and i immediately backed up what i have done this week onto dvd!

Okay A-team, I am going to be obnoxious today and tell each one of you to:

**********BACK UP everything you have done this week!!!!*********

i dont care how long it takes, back it up TODAY!

email it to yourself, to a friend, backup to DVD, onto an external drive.

have at least 3 seperate places you have backed it up.

if you have figures in your document, back up the WRITING only ASWELL. sometimes word documents go pear shaped for no reason, so i back up my writing aswell in a seperate file.

if you can print out a copy aswell, please do so!

it's friday, which is official "backup your work day"
(i just made friday, backing up day)

L

but you must be backing up on a DAILY basis aswell as an hourly basis (in some cases when you've done alot) and weekly basis.

no backup, no sympathy.
--

okay sermon over

A

Thanks for the back up reminder, Lara!

Goals for Today:

1) 3 Field Notes Entries

If I can accomplish this today, I will be happy. Yesterday was unproductive for writing, but excellent for field work. I was literally doing exciting field work from first thing in the morning through the entire night. I'm exhausted but ecstatic. Tonight, I will bring my computer over to my research participants apartment that way I can steal off and type notes whenever I have moment.

Keep up all the good work - and see you later tonight!

L

well done Anthropolaga, sounds like you've had an exciting and productive couple of days, well done you! i admire your spirit in doing writing AND field work. that is great!

see you tonight

L

*comes in for night confession*

still working away on Aim number 1, nearly finished with section 2 though. taken me nearly 7 hours!!

i am not letting myself leave my desk or have dinner, until i finish the results section! once i get it done, then i am going to relax for a couple of hours.

feeling hungry, but no, i must finish the results section tonight!!

hope you all are doing well.

Anthropolaga, how you holding up?

L

finally finished my Aim number 1. (1 out of 3 accomplished)

took me about 9 hours.

feeling hungry and tired now. I'm calling it a night, and start again bright and early.

night night folks.

A

Hey Lara - I'm holding up ok. I'm in same boat - about 11:45 here, but I've still got a couple of hours of work ahead of me. Going to keep on keepin on and log in a report when I'm done. Good luck to all with wrapping up today's work!

A

Hay all: about 1 AM here in Buenos Aires - and cold in the southern hemisphere winter (I'm jealous of all of you enjoying the nice weather, although I do have to say freezing rain is lovely weather for working!).

I was able to complete the two tasks I wanted to do today - 2 field work entries. I'll be back at it again tomorrow.

Hope you all are finding this thread useful for holding each other accountable - and any suggestions on how to make it more useful for all are much appreciated.

Chau!

L

Anthropologa, well done on getting the work done even though it was late and you must have been tired.
i admire your stamina!

it is so cool that you're in such an exotic location doing exciting field work. impressive

---

my aims:

1. finish last section of results: chapter 4.
2. discussion: chapter 4.

then will take a break.

I will report back when i am done with those two aims, and then will load up new aims for the evening.

L

how are the rest of the members of the A-team doing?

bakuvia

liminalplace

CeCeF

SillyBilly

zylynn

showunmi

kaymoy

olivia

Rosy

Gracie

Cakegirl

anyone else working today?