advice for a PhD interview

L

I have my first interview for a PhD on the 9th of September. it is a psychology research PhD looking at the effects of motivational interviewing on weight loss. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me or an idea of possible questions as i have know idea what to expect. thanks

C

Hi Lauren, if you do a search on this forum you will find loads of previous posts about this, including mine. 

The interviewers could ask you anything from talking about your honours project to a specific about the PhD topic.

You will most likely be asked 'why do you want to do a PhD' 'What do you think is involved in a PhD' 'how do you get your research across to a wider audience' and other similar things, so practice answers to those types of questions, and read up about the PhD topic as much as you can although they won't expect you to be an expert yet. Basically show you have interest and enthusiasm and that you understand that a PhD is a very tough thing to do but you are ready for the challenge. 

I had four people interviewing me for mine and they all asked questions, but nothing was too scary and it was more like a chat really.

Good luck!

L

hi
thanks so much for the help. that sounds great. i will prepare some answers to the possible questions.

R

Hiya,

This really depends on what university you are in. I had a few interviews and some were very manageable while others were not so great!

I find that a bit of confidence in your project goes a long way, though I would certainly advise you to understand where possible problems with it might arise and talk about how you will mitigate them. Strangely, i was a cheeky so and so at the interview that I eventually got funding for, but that was because they kept me waiting for over an hour outside the interview room.

Definitely, they will ask you why you want it and what you hope it will achieve and what you want to be doing in ten years.

Also, if i were you, I'd have a good idea of the type of reading you'll be doing!

Hope it helps, good luck.

BoooooooM!