Advice is needed for PhD interview

U

I have an offer to participate in a telephonic interview for PhD position that is relevant to Computational Fluid dynamics field and i am kind of nervous for it and i would be very happy if someone of you spare some time and give some advice on it. Would it be very much technical interview or just a formal conversation to access motivational level. Please guys do respond to it asap coz i have so short time for it.

W

Hi,

It is hard to advise you because the type of telephone conversation will vary depending on the academic.

However, treat it as a formal interview and although they can not see you remember to do thing like smile. This will influence your tone of voice and also can relax you.

Why do you want to do this PhD? Why are you keen? They will want to know this. So think how you can summarize this into a sentence or two in case they ask (and of course on the phone they can't see you reading off any notes you may have prepared).

Do you already have experience directly related to computation and fluid dynamics. Talk about it positively what you have enjoyed.
Have you done other modeling that has taught you problem solving skills? You don't already have to be an expert!

Things that have gone wrong in the past are "challenges you have overcome". Things that have gone well in the past are "things you worked at to make a success".

You probably will get a question you haven't thought of because all interviews are like that: so just be honest and try and keep cheerful.

Hope it goes well for you.

U

Thank you very much for writing a very nice comment on my thread, i have little bit of experience already about CFD coz i have given one international conference paper and my future supervisor have a copy of it and i think may be he will ask some questions about my previous work. Thanks again.