Advice Needed Regarding PhD Choices

M

@HazyJane

Thank you for your comments.

You make the essential observation about me not fully experiencing the PhD as of yet. I agree with this, particularly considering that I have only being doing a kind of "foundational" level in which I'm undertaking modules, in order to please the funding body I imagine.

However, I have had two years out prior to the PhD and to be honest I figured that this could of been a possible reason for my lack of motivation. That being said, I think the truth is that I'm a writer, not a reader. I read what I need to read in order to get the job done, its a very pragmatic approach. I won't, for example, go and read something because I find it interesting. It has to have some value to me. Hence, I have been motivated with the assignments I have done this academic year and have garnered really positive results, I just do not feel like I can see myself reading for the best part of 20 months (if I do 12 months research & analysis 2015 - 2016; and 12 months writing, 2016 - 2017) with minimal results (as in completed pieces). I feel that my primary motivator throughout university wasn't to gain knowledge but to get the best grades I possibly could, thus enhancing my potential employability --> Crude, cold and inappropriate material to do a PhD, right?

Another point I must make, to avoid confusion here, is that my degree is not in healthcare. It is in social sciences. I was in healthcare in an administrative capacity only, not a clinical one. In regards to my friend, yes she is very fortunate, especially considering that she has got a job in clinical research with only a social sciences degree. That being said, I did have an interview for a clinical research officer position back in January, which I should of never really got truth be told. As for her obtaining further qualifications, the NHS supports this as you undertake your work and actually provides paid study leave

Thank you again

M

@SimonG

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, I understand that 5 months seems a little premature, as HazyJane highlighted. However, I did do Law in my undergraduate and had similar feelings. I internally transferred from Law into the social sciences in the January of 2007 (only 3.5 months in) and have never once regretted it because it was the right move for me.

And yes, fully-funded for four years! Addressing both you and @HazyJane, maybe I should complete this year first, at least until May when all the first-year modules are completed and assignments handed in, as the successful completion of that will result in the award of a Postgraduate Diploma (I believe) which is less than a master's but helpful nonetheless and has a significant research methods component. In regards to MRes's and MPhil's, as this is the first year of a 4 year programme (3+1) I wouldn't qualify for either until the end of next academic year which would be around June/July 2015.

Returning to @SimonG's comments about the PhD retaining non-academic value upon its completion, yes I agree it "might." But herein lies the key issue. What if it doesn't? Is the risk of doing the PhD for it to be worth nothing and to be over-qualified worth the journey? This, yet again, is another question I have been asking myself over the past two months in particular.

Thank you again

M

Just want to add another comment in my reply frenzy!

Thank you once again to you all. I am humbled at the thoughtfulness, depth, effort, and passion that has gone into each response.

I'm quite an honest, truthful and respectful individual. Therefore, I have responded to each of your comments individually and as candidly as humanly possible for me. I hope that everyone can appreciate this.

Thank you again! (I know I should stop with the thank you's!)

MurderofCrows,

Reading the above, you appear to have made your decision to withdraw and you feel that is right for you. That being the case, you have made a brave decision and best of luck for whatever you do.

The above said, you appear to have made the decision to at least earn the Postgrad Diploma before leaving. That indicates you have already thought this through and you will leave having something to show for your efforts. One point is I would also stay in place until you have a job to go to - it's easier to find work if you are economically or otherwise 'active'.

The PhD was the right decision for me and I feel that now after the fact, even though events after (2nd post-doc) meant that long term I have not benefitted professionally (though I most definitely have personally). If I had not done it, I would have always wondered "What if?".

Likewise, you don't see the point of continuing and placing your life on hold for another three years if you are not going to gain any real value from it. This I understand and respect. That being the case, rather than make yourself unhappy for the next three years then it is perhaps better you call it a day, hopefully making way for a more motivated candidate eventually to take your place.

You have tried and answered your "What if?" It does indeed sound if calling it a day for you at least is probably the right choice. As I have in the past seemed to know what was right for me, you likewise seem to know what is right for you.

All the best for the future,

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

F

@Moc, I certainly did not mean any offense however I do certainly see how it could be construed that way, across an internet post, without the benefit of knowing me personally. I do apologize.

1. I do believe as humans we know the difference between good and bad, no matter how much we try to complicate the subject with philosophical gymnastics. You know when you are hurting someone else. Thats my personal belief.

2. I start my PhD in a matter of weeks, so no bloated sense of self importance here i'm afraid. Of course life is complex. However there is parking attendant complex and active duty soldier complex. Not that one is more important that the other, but that one has more risk involved that the other. Empirically, you will have an easier time getting "the average job" than becoming a Russel Group university Professor. Thats statistics.

Remember you said and I quote "all I want is to be settled in life and be earning a decent living." What I took form that is "I would like to earn a decent living, in a timely manner, so I can get on with getting a house/family/ or whatever". I just told the truth. Research academia will not provide you with those things you listed as most important to you in that manner. Its not for everyone, and I am sorry you take offense to that.

Quote From Fled:
@Moc, I certainly did not mean any offense however I do certainly see how it could be construed that way, across an internet post, without the benefit of knowing me personally. I do apologize.

1. I do believe as humans we know the difference between good and bad, no matter how much we try to complicate the subject with philosophical gymnastics. You know when you are hurting someone else. Thats my personal belief.

2. I start my PhD in a matter of weeks, so no bloated sense of self importance here i'm afraid. Of course life is complex. However there is parking attendant complex and active duty soldier complex. Not that one is more important that the other, but that one has more risk involved that the other. Empirically, you will have an easier time getting "the average job" than becoming a Russel Group university Professor. Thats statistics.

Remember you said and I quote "all I want is to be settled in life and be earning a decent living." What I took form that is "I would like to earn a decent living, in a timely manner, so I can get on with getting a house/family/ or whatever". I just told the truth. Research academia will not provide you with those things you listed as most important to you in that manner. Its not for everyone, and I am sorry you take offense to that.

Fled,

To be fair to both of you I initially took the same interpretation as you and MurderofCrow's comment can be taken two different ways. There's nothing wrong with either interpretation.

Seeing other people moving on with their lives is surprisingly major pressure for many doing a PhD as many of us do put our lives on hold to a degree to see it through. Family and friend peer pressure to start a family can be quite considerable even if unintented.

I do understand that's not what MurderofCrows meant and he just wants a regular, normal 9 to 5 routine.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)