advice on contacting a potential supervisor

S

I'm currently working on a taught MA in history. I've identified a potential PhD supervisor at a university, but I'm not sure how to go about contacting him. I only have a general idea of what I want to study for a PhD and I know I need to narrow it down in order to make a specific research proposal.

My MA supervisor said I should send an email to the potential PhD supervisor and that he might be able to help me focus my research ideas. But I'm not sure how to phrase the email. So far I have:

"I am interested in applying for a PhD in history at the University of ____. My research interest is ________. I am currently researching for my MA dissertation on ___________. I would be interested in expanding that type of research to other figures of the period. Would you be able to supervise a dissertation on this topic?"

Is it okay to ask a potential supervisor if they can help you focus your ideas? Also the university I'm interested in doesn't require that you identify a supervisor in the application. The application deadline to apply for the program and funding is May 27th so I have just over 2 months.

P

I think you're very behind the game, and ought to consider whether doing a rushed job on the application (which two months is if you've not got a research question) is really a good idea; have you thought about a year out?
You're better asking a supervisor whether they're INTERESTED rather than ABLE to supervise the topic. Supervisors are often theoretically able to supervise on a given topic, it doesn't necessarily mean they want to.
Also, you need to know if a topic in X area has legs, it's worth providing a bit more information that demonstrates your knowledge of the topic, even if that doesn't involve narrowing it. You're unlikely to get a response in the affirmative unless you've shown this much.....

B

Hi Siamsa!

I think you should definitely go ahead and email this potential supervisor of yours. There's no harm in seeing what their opinion is, so why not! Only thing, perhaps, rephrase the your Q. 'would you be able to supervise...', instead suggest a meeting to discuss the possibility of them supervising your PhD, cos it's a tad unlikely they'll reply 'yes' in an email ;)! Or maybe I'm wrong!! Also, if they do agree to a meeting, I'm sure, they'll be able to offer you some sound advice and expertise on what to do next.

Hope it works out well for you :) and my words are of some help!

[Oh, a little side note: I emailed a potential supervisor the other day to see if I could meet them to discuss the possibility of beginning a PhD this year. Just got a reply saying they'd be more than happy to meet me! So, there you go!]

A

I agree. I heard about my (funded) PhD opportunity late, wrote a research proposal in a couple of weeks, and I got accepted with funding. Of course my research proposal has changed massively, but I think that's part of it. I didn't need to email my potential supervisors so have no experience of that, but your proposed email looks short, to the point, clear which is what is important. You can't be expected to be perfect at this stage, and supervisors are only other humans, and can just say if you don't give enough info, or if it is late in the day etc. Imo you've nothing to lose.(up)