Advice on holidays

J

Hi,

I emailed my supervisor asking him if I could finish for christmas on the 20th of Dec and come back on the 3rd Jan. I also told him the lab closes on the 23rd and reopens on the 3rd. So basically I want to take 3 days extra off. He mailed me back saying that normally Phd students are allowed to the whole xmas break off. Then he went on about how its a good time for reading and writing. I emailed him back and asked him to clarify this and he said the whole xmas break normally refers to the complete university cloed period. Does anyone know what this means??? I get the impression it means no you can't take it off.

:( sob

J

your supervisor sounds like a slavedriver!

D

can`t you finish on the 20th and "read" until the 23rd? Would that keep him happy?

J

I don't know. I wouldn't mind so much if he just gave me a straight answer. I can't decide whether I should email him again and ask him to clarify i.e. give me a yes or no answer. I had a meeting with him yesterday and he said he was pleased with my progress, I dont think he can be that pleased!

The other Phd students are takingquite a bit of time off. The message I get from his email is that he expects me to take only 1 week and 1 day and that I should be spending this time reading.

H

Hi Jen,
I find doing a PhD involves working when it is most productive for you. Taking time off and coming back refreshed is better than finishing for Christmas and knowing you still have to do reading etc. I think your supervisor means that when the university closes (the library for example) then that is time you should be taking as holiday. I personally would do what you want to do. If you are happy taking holiday from the date you said then do. I think December is a quiet month for many universities so in terms of writing and reading that is probably what he means. BTW what year are you in? Hilary

H

PS at my university we have courses called "managing your supervisor" and I think it is important to remember we are the ones doing the PhD and that our supervisors aren;t thinking about our research as much as we are, if at all in some cases?! Trying to please supervisors can end in disaster, particularly if you become dispondent about the project, feel bullied or the project is going in their direction and not yours. So do what makes you happy, you are the one who has to develop the project, research the project and write the final thesis! (little bit of rant but do feel passionate about this!) Hilary

J

thanks hilly. It has made me feel really down I love xmas and was really looking forward to some time off with my family. Its made me so unmotivated I don't feel like doing anything.

I am in the first year.

H

Jen,
In your first year, you are still working things out -work schedules, research topics, what to read, and getting to know your supervisor. I would not stress out on when you should take holiday. Take what time you need. Personally, I would go home when you want, enjoy Christmas, catch up with friends etc., and return in the new year ready for action. Spend some time (couple of hours) over Xmas thinking about what you want to achieve in the next year. Supervisors are for guidance and advice, but they should not be telling you when to work etc. PhDs, in my opinion, are meant to be enjoyable. Why else would we sign up? So do whatever will keep you interested in the project and research...extra days or weeks for holiday so be it...whatever keeps the momentum. I am in my third year and i have never managed to treat my PhD as a 9-5. However much I have wanted to. If you work in blocks or when deadlines are approaching then great - don't radically change your habits. What worked for you at MSc, MA, BA etc. didn;t fail you, so why change.

H

I agree, there is always the danger of seeing what other people are doing and wondering if you should be doing that etc. I have learnt there is nothing much to be achieved, other than freaking yourself out! So do what you are happy with.
I live with my boyfriend and I am in the writing up - end of data collection stage and to be honest I take time off when I need and this hasn;t been detrimental yet! I think sometimes supervisors forget what it is like to be a PhD student - working out what you are doing etc. and ssometimes set the same standards to us as they do for themselves - well, they are professors and we are starting our careers so...Go Xmas shopping, have a drink with friends and relax! (sorry again for the rant!) Hilary

P

Unless you are contracted to the university to work a specific set of hours then it should be totally up to you. You are an adult and the PhD process is supposed to be (in the main) self directed learning. At my university research students are in charge of their own schedule and athough it is expected that this will be run passed supervisors, the final decision is down to me. I am taking two weeks off to go to Canada to visit famiy over Xmas. I plan to leave all my work behind and ..gasp...take a novel to read. We all need a break from time to time in order to recharge and be more productive in the long run. As a fellow human being, your supervisor should acknowledge this and respect you & your decision.Sorry you're getting a hrad time over it. Relax & have a break!

B

I am sorry to contradict the advice given thus far, but I have serious doubts about not doing work over the xmas period. Is this a dangerous trait to employ? I certainly will feel like I am missing out on vital information that I might find over xmas and would probably not want to go back to work if I had a break as I am in a routine and on a roll now. My way of working may be different to the rest of you though. I devote alot of time (ie. 9 till 7) early in the week and gradually reduce the time until friday where I might do a couple of hours and then have the weekend off. So, in a way im having my time off every week I suppose! In my first year by the way

H

I congratulate the very dedicated folks posting on this site - I am perhaps too relaxed! It sounds like some supervisors are more hands on than others and see the project as (in part) their own. It is your project, you are doing the PhD for you!

I think what we are all trying to say is "do what works for you". I think we all have our own strategies for coping. But Christmas is a good time to take stock - whether it be taking a break, doing some further reading, or cracking on with work during this quieter time.

D

?! I think a couple of weeks Christmas break is about right.

Z

I'm taking three weeks off for Christmas/New Year - ten days will be spent reading, the rest I will have off. My experiment has went well and I have some good results already, so I can afford to relax.

Z

I think.