Advice on How to Proceed?

C

For a little background, my main professional goals are to work in archeology, specializing in Near Eastern studies. I would like to teach, first and foremost, but then I would also like to be able to do archeological field work when I get older, and my kids are old enough to be out on their own (I have a three year old and a one year old so that will be awhile).

Currently, my husband and I are both in college. I am finishing my bachelor's this year, and he has three more undergrad years, followed by three more in a professional Physical Therapy program. He would like to stay here to finish his education, but my options are limited, as we have no Near Eastern programs, and our history graduate program is very modern history/european focused. Also, my Anthro advisor has warned me that our grad program is too new and untested to allow our PhDs much in the way of college level teaching opportunities upon completion of the doctorate.

However, since I know I have at least six more years at our current town, I am considering completing my Ph.D. here in archeology/anthro anyway, and then completing either another Ph.D. or some post-doctoral work at a school with a Near Eastern program after my husband finishes his studies.

I'm not afraid of staying in school, I enjoy studying and research. I have watched my parents go through doctoral programs, so I also feel I have an idea of the work that will be involved. However, I don't know if my plan is the best way to proceed. I have considered simply completing my Master's, working for a few year, and then going for my doctorate once we move from our current location. But, since I know I will not get a job in my chosen field (honestly, working as an administrating assistant or forestry department employee are about all I could do in this town even with a master's in anthro), I don't know if this would be an any better option. Any advice?