Advice please...dilemma

B

======= Date Modified 10 16 2010 12:16:25 =======
Hi,

I'm in an awkward situation at work and don't really know what to do for the best. Helpful advice appreciated.

I'm on a postdoc scholarship but do a bit of teaching to keep my cv up to date. Last year there was a lectureship in my dept and I applied, as did a guy who did his PhD there and is hanging on with hourly paid teaching. Neither of us got it or were even shortlisted but looking at who they shortlisted, neither of us deserved to be on merit (my publication record is better than his but much worse than those they shortlisted). They appointed a really talented female lecturer, who I think is a great research addition to the dept. But this other guy never accepted it (he seems to think that he is somehow entitled to a lectureship in the dept and that if he hangs around long enough, he'll get it - I think he's deluded given how competitive my subject is is as a field). Since the new lecturer arrived, he's never missed an opportunity to ridicule everything from her dress sense to her teaching. I just thought he was bitter and unpleasant and stayed out of his way (as to be honest he was pissing off the other staff anyway). He has one supporter in a very sexist senior lecturer, who hates the new lecturer because she's a woman basically. But last week I found out by accident from one of my students, that the two of them are encouraging students to sign a petition complaining about her teaching in an attempt to get her sacked while she's still on probation.
My dilemma - I think I should tell someone what's going on but the big snag is that I'm on the job market and the senior lecturer is (while deeply unpleasant) quite powerful in my subfield, and I know from conference gossip that he's gone out of his way to ruin other people who've crossed him. And I doubt I could go to the Head of dept without it somehow leaking that it was me who told him.
Any thoughts on what is best to do? The new lecturer isn't my friend (although seems nice) so I don't really feel comfortable going directly to her.

P

Gosh, that sounds terrible. I agree with you that you are in a difficult situation as you do not want the Department Head to make your life difficult/further career impossible, especially if he is required for references or so. Maybe going to speak to the new lecturer is the best way forward though, and you dont need to be friends with her, but just tell her how you perceive the situation. Then it is up to her what to do with that information. Another option would be to directly confront this other guy and just tell him that you disagree with his approach(petition, ridiculing) and that he maybe should invest more time to do better teaching/research. This surely is a confrontational way of dealing with the situation (and the other guy and probably the department head wont like you for it), but at least you know you have spoken your mind. Alternatively, speak to the students and make it clear to them that they should only complain if they have true complaints, rather than minor issues that can easily be resolved.
I dont know what I would do in your case, but I have made the mistake in the past of not getting involved and while it meant that I did not get probs with colleagues/superiors, I felt bad for not stepping in and pointing out the injustice as I saw it. I think this is really a tricky situation.. all the best with deciding what to do/what not to do..(sprout)

======= Date Modified 10 Mar 2010 14:31:41 =======
Hi Bewildrered this sounds like a really tricky situation and good on you for eing so concerned - a good soul.

I think in your position, I would speak to the new lecturer and tell her what you know, then leave it up to her. She could get in touch with the union, they may help, if there is a good rep at your uni. Surely drumming up a detrimental petition amongst student would be a disciplinary offence and the pair could be in trouble?

I gree that you should also speak to your students about the nature of complaints procedures and how the should or should not operate. You never know, the students might make a counter complaint if the dastardly duo push it too far.

Oh, also, my approach would be to avoid lettng either of the two petitioners know that you disapprove, or even that you know what they are doing. I tend to think that given enough rope, and when watched carefully enough this type will hang themselves. I also think it's upi tot he new lecturer to decide how she deals with this.

S

this is awful, and I can understand your concern. There are a number of options, the first being do nothing but obviously you would feel horrible. Second as has been mentioned you could talk to the new lecturer and tell her whats going on. Third, you could wait and see what happens, and if there is some action against her you could speak up, but then there will be questions about your involvement and why you didnt say anything. Is there any way that you could get hold of one of the petitions? If you could bring the petition to light now without naming and shaming the lecturers involved it would be ideal. Finally, you could go down in a blaze of righteous glory! Stand up in a departmental meeting and out the creeps, give a speech about your department being like a family etc etc etc.

======= Date Modified 10 Mar 2010 17:13:19 =======
I wouldn't wait until after the event to say something - you'll look less convincing, as f you are just jumping on the bandwagon, so to speak; either say it before, or say nothing. Bringing the petition to light won't do anything other than damage the new lecturer, unless there is proof that it has been compiled in an illegitimate way, that's the important thing.

If I were the new lecturer I would want signed evidence from at least three students stating that they were being encouraged by a member of staff to act against another member of staff. In the HE education system, three is the magic number - it equals proof upon which action can be taken against a staff member, and proof hat tsomething happened. And I'd be looking intoo how the petition was started, did the dastardly twosome instigate it? Were some students encouraged to instigate it? All these things would be important if a tribunal of some sort took place. I'd also be looking at what they pair are accusing her of, in my experience people who make false accusations are very often guilty of what they are accusing. Then I'd be looking for evidence for further misconduct (most likely in the ring leader) along those lines so I could really hammer them.

So that's what I'd be doing if I were her, but I really think it is the new lecturer's choice as to how this dealt with. I think you should tell her, in person, so there is no record of you doing it, but I think, for your own conscience, and maybe your own skin one day - it sounds as if you could be as much of a threat to this nasty individual one day soon, as the new lecturer is - it is important to tell her the knives are out. I've found that nasty people such as this are usually disliked and have plenty of enemies who would like to see the back of them, so she could get support in this.

I like the meeting idea though! That would be cool, but, yes, it's also a risk.

if it were me, I would have a gossip with admin and let them spread the news! and then be seen to go and tell the bloke that 'so and so in admin just told me that you've got a petition....'

Sneaks, that's brilliant! Brilliant! I will remember that tactic forever...

J

Does the uni have a whistle blower policy - that might give you a way of reproting it but keeping your identity secret.

S

Send an anonymous email to the lecturer and don't discuss it, you will bring problem to yourself by intruding. May be am not understanding the situation quite right, but if the lecturer is good, then students shouldn't complain in the first place? if they are complaining just to please the other lecturer, is there any way you inform the department about these plans? and then leave it to them to investigate. Good luck.

B

Thanks all for the suggestions. I was reading all the replies this morning and trying to decide what to do when Eska's prediction came true. The dastardly duo are now in trouble. One of the students made a formal complaint about the petition and their strong-arm tactics. So I'm off the hook and it's all out in the open. And you never know justice may even be done.

T

What a happy update! Glad you're off the hook and that the two creeps are getting their just desserts (hopefully anyway), that poor new lecturer!

J

Glad it has worked out for you and glad you didn't rush into doing anything. A lesson there for all of us!