Advice please: do I resurrect unfinished PhD or not?

M

Hi

I have the opportunity to finish my PhD after many years gathering dust in the cupboard. I've already written a draft, but I will need to seriously update the theory and rewrite. My potential supervisor has suggested I will need another year of fairly intesive work. He made it clear that this final stage will be hard work requiring lots of commitment.

I have two questions: first - I would like to finish for my own sense of completion, but I'm not sure whether it will help me career-wise (the PhD is in Social Anthropology - if it does not help me to get a job, then I'm wondering if it is worth putting myself and my family through the pain and undoubted agony. Does anyone out there have a view on the value of a PhD/has experience a similar thing.

Secondly, I can afford the fees, but would like to earn a little bit alongside the PhD. Does anyone have bright ideas/creative ways to earn a bit of money while writing up AND looking after school-age children??

Any input gratefully received.

C

Do it, do it, do it!

More constructive advice:

If you can remember why it wasn't finished the first time, and now circumstances are different - then go for it!

N

If you are going to be in the writing up phase, moreover in a social science, I don't think your PhD requires a lot of presencial hours in your department. I suppose (but it's better to check with your department) that you will be able to work from home in flexible hours. Maybe you would still be able to keep your current job, specially if there's the possibility to go part time or work flexible hours. Otherwise you may ask your supervisor whether you would have the possibility to teach undergraduate courses, or mark exams etc. I know also a few PhDs at my university who work part time in the library or in secretarial roles at other departments; I think it's not a bad idea because at least you won't have to travel distances from your office to university, plus your employer is supposed to be more sympathetic towards your student situation.