Advice Please :)

N

Hi guys

I am about 9 months into my PhD and have recently been having major doubts over whether I actually want to do it anymore. I am finding the theory behind my topic really difficult to understand and have been both anxious and depressed over the last couple of weeks. Im jusy not coping. Before starting my PhD I worked in industry for 2 years and have found the transition to studying again very difficult. When I started thinking I couldn't go on with this PhD I applied for a few jobs in the panic that if I did decide to leave I wouldnt have an income to pay for my living expenses!!! I have recieved an email today inviting me to an interview for one of the jobs I applied for and now don't know what to do. It's a job within the science industry close to where I live and in the area I worked in before starting the PhD

I don't know what to do. I don't know if I'm rushing into this too soon and feel really guilty going behind my supervisors back. She has been away for about 4 weeks so I haven't spoken to her about my doubts and feelings regarding the PhD. I am also worried because on my Cv I didn't specify I am currently doing a PhD and put it down as 'further research'. If I do go to the interview should I clarify this beforehand?

Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Do people think what I am doing is morally wrong? I'm so confused!!!'

Thanks

B

Hi Nti97sma... I havnt been in a position like that but I would suggest you something.. the thing is that its quite difficult to continue a PhD with a full time job. I mean you can do it, but you'll suffer alot.. most of the supervisors are not cooperative these days, and you will find it hard to fix meetings with them whenever you want.. coz they seem to be quite busy. the bottom line is that if the job offer is good and the pay is attractive then go for it.. and keep the PhD if you want to, but their will be a trade off i.e. more time in the completion of ur degree. but if you are committed towards the degree then refuse the offer, focus on research for 2 yrs or more; I am pretty hopeful you'll get a better job at the END.

N

Hi Bacha, thanks for the reply. I wouldn't even consider doing a PhD while working full time as I can hardly cope at the moment with the PhD alone. I really don't know if I am committed to the PhD and that is the main problem. If I'm being honest I can't imagine doing this for th next 2 years and being anxious 7 days a week 24/7. I think if I'm being totally honest I want to leave but there is that worry I am rushing into it and the guilt towards my supervisor and the university. I have a lot to think about over the next few days......

B

Thats fine.. Just consider ur opportunities.. best of luck man....

R

Well it depends what you expect from further jobs. Do you NEED the degree to get better/more intresting jobs in the long run? Will you get paid significantly better? If you answer both with yes, I would stick with the phd. Btw, have you considered attending the interview and checking your opportunities there? In worst case you could always decline the job offer afterwards. But with the current job market I would tend to take the job, especially if its well paid and near your home.