Advice! Waiting on PhD Interview Results

W

First post on the forum so hopefully someone can help or share advice :)

Went for a PhD interview roughly 3 weeks ago with the university I am currently studying my MSc at. Overall I gave a good interview and said everything I went over prior the interview so was happy with my performance. After the interview I sent an email to the chief supervisor and thanked him for the opportunity etc. and I got a reply almost immediately.

I believe there was 4-5 candidates including myself; two of which are in my MSc class. So I was in class on monday and both them mentioned they received a letter last friday to say they were unsuccessful (the letter was posted on the monday).

I still havent heard anything and I am kind of in limbo here. My biggest fear is that they have offered the position to another candidate and I am second choice incase their first choice cannot accept the offer. If that person confirms then they will let me know that i am unsuccessful.

Is this the way it usually goes or is there still a chance for me?

H

Quote From williamsonj90:

My biggest fear is that they have offered the position to another candidate and I am second choice incase their first choice cannot accept the offer. If that person confirms then they will let me know that i am unsuccessful.

That could well be the case. If so, at least you are still in with a shot. Don't take it personally if you are not the first choice. You wouldn't even be considered as second choice if you were simply not right for the role. So it is a partial endorsement, even if it doesn't lead to your preferred outcome.

I'd suggest applying for some other PhDs in the meantime. It will provide you with a distraction and help you detach from this one opportunity, as well as getting the ball rolling should you need to try again. It's par for the course to go through a few rejections, so don't let it deter you too much.

W

Thanks for the reply.

I think its the fact that its an area I am interested in; plus the studentship was really good (17k I believe). I guess its just a waiting game now and keep myself busy.

T

It wouldn't hurt to ask the interviewer for an update - if they got their letters on Monday and you haven't had yours, what if it has been lost in the post?

W

Quote From TreeofLife:
It wouldn't hurt to ask the interviewer for an update - if they got their letters on Monday and you haven't had yours, what if it has been lost in the post?

Yeah Im going to leave it until Friday then send an email to the supervisor.

E

Any luck?