advice

P

i will be starting my Phd in October this year and just want to get some advice on the structure of the programme itself. Will it be possible to combine the research with part time work?

If you work part time, you will defnitely be working weekends. I work 7 days a week on my PhD so would find it hard to balance part time work. However, if it was necessary for cash, or if it was a fantastic job for experience then I'm sure I would manage. You will have to be VERY organised though.

My PhD hasn't really had much structure. My sup threw me in at the deepend in the first year and didn't meet with me for about 6 months. Then I did data collection, had very little meetings and now I am writing up - I am having about 1 meeting every month now. But it all varies, some people have meetings once a week and have a very prescribed timetable of what needs to get done. It also depends on whether your PhD is applied - I've had a load of setbacks trying to get participants for example.

S

======= Date Modified 24 May 2010 23:16:06 =======
Yes it is possible to do both. Lots of us here work part-time and study full-time. Until the last few months, I was working between 10-20 hours a week and studying, and going along fine. It could mean though, that you might not finish your PhD in 3 years - mine will have taken me the equivalent of 4 years. But I've also published/done conference papers a lot along the way. And like Sneaks, I also work 7 days a week, and I don't have many holidays.

You should talk to your sup about the structure - it varies between universities and disciplines.

S

yes i think its possible to combine research with part time work. But i found this very difficult. I couldn't cope, mentally it was ok, and I enjoyed getting to know new friends while working part time.

There was also no pressure from my part-time work or phd but the physical demands were too much for me (lots of walking to-and-fro, plus I had to carry my backpack, lunch etc.) and eventually I had to stop working part-time.

My advice will be: work part time only if you absolute have to and can cope with it
:-)
love satchi

P

Thanks all, that was helpful. i am currently working full time at the moment but have decided to reduce my hours to 2 days so that i can do the Phd full time. Having read lots of the postings here, it does sound quite scary but having received a studentship, i just could not give up the opportunity to study full time.

P

@ sneaks - what's ur phd in? u work onit 7 days a week? wow, thats some dedication!