Advise required !

G

Hi friends,

I am a PhD student, last year, from a 3rd world country. Due to an overall unfavorable situation here , I am finding it very hard to continue my research. Following are the issues this place has:-

Lack of Resources and Research Environment (funding and facilities)
Lack of Guidance (Hardly few people familiar with academic research)
Violence and bad law n Order situation (we barely get an average of 3.5 working days per week)

Combine the above with some poor made decisions from my side i.e. starting PhD here and relying too much on my own-self, I am considering to take an early release with an M.Phil. Now that sounds like fine since a lot of people, as I have heard, do that already. All i need is a smaller version of my planned thesis without any publication of my work. For PhD we need two publications here at-least, and that doesn't seem like happening for me since Govt./Ministry is not issuing anymore funds. I need them now more than ever because I have to produce critical results, but I can't.

As I have said above, I am happy with M.Phil. Its a great research degree. My dilemma is that I already have three degrees, BS, MSc, MS. I fear that with addition of M.Phil to this list my CV might give indications of a PhD failure and a degree collecting nerd. I am a very hard working student for local standards, all my previous degrees are with medals, but the present situation is beyond my control, so I am suffering bad. Each day for me is just frustration.

Please help me and suggest something. Should I take release with a M.Phil because that can happen for me within 50 days ? or should I give it more time to see if things get better ?

My supervisor is asking me to take a long leave, he thinks I am burning out and not thinking rationally. I am 26 years old and My field is Organic Synthesis Chemistry.

U

Quote From Ginseng:
Hi friends,

I am a PhD student, last year, from a 3rd world country.

Can you define 3rd world country? May be depends upon perspective!

Combine the above with some poor made decisions from my side i.e. starting PhD here and relying too much on my own-self,

Now these are bold decisions.

I am considering to take an early release with an M.Phil. Now that sounds like fine since a lot of people, as I have heard, do that already.

That's a bad decision!

As I have said above, I am happy with M.Phil. Its a great research degree. My dilemma is that I already have three degrees, BS, MSc, MS.

BS, MSc, MS, MPhil. What next? M.Sc. Psychology? Don't take me wrong, just trying to emphasize that what you are planning may not be good for you.

I fear that with addition of M.Phil to this list my CV might give indications of a PhD failure and a degree collecting nerd. I am a very hard working student for local standards, all my previous degrees are with medals, but the present situation is beyond my control, so I am suffering bad. Each day for me is just frustration.

Don't ruin your previous record.

My supervisor is asking me to take a long leave, he thinks I am burning out and not thinking rationally. I am 26 years old and My field is Organic Synthesis Chemistry.

Heed your supervisor. Carry on. If you need further exposure outside of yur country, you may opt for postdoc once you are done. Or even you can try to present in a conference somewhere around the world. YOu are just 26 now and even after one more year into your PhD, it should be fine to get a good postdoc somewhere around the world. Remember, if you quit your PhD in the hope of funding somewhere else, that may never materialize.