Advise sought: University rep or Supervisor rep more important?

R

======= Date Modified 14 01 2008 12:01:37 =======
Hi all

I have an offer from a not so prestigious university but with a supervisor I like and seems active in terms of research/publications in their field and a studentship has been offered by that Uni, and another offer from a prestigious university but I'm not too sure about the supervisor even though they are well-known etc in their field with no studentship.

Do you think the reputation of the University is more important than the reputation of the supervisor?

The field I'm going into is International Relations

Thanks in advance

S

A couple of points here. I generally think that the supervisor is more important than the university so don't get too hung up on the prestige of that uni. I know of one former polytechnic in my field which has some of the biggest names in the field working in a large research group together. In the same field I know a prestigious university with one, middling potential supervisor.

Secondly, doing a PhD is blooming expensive, so ignoring a funded opportunity to work with an energetic, well known supervisor for an unfunded one at a prestigious university seems a bad choice, to me anyway.

S

Hey...firstly congratulations on two offers (up)

It would be silly to deny that some sort of hierarchy does not exist in/between institutions ... however, it does not necessarily mean that the likes of oxford / cambridge are at the top of that hierarchy. Maybe have a look into the institutions recent publications lists and see if they have published recently and in what journals. Maybe see if you can find any other researchers / PhD students in your field who can advise you ... or do you have anyone at your current uni that can help advise you? (am assuming you are recent Masters / Bachelors student!)

My advice would be to go with your gut instinct ... you need to be happy with the supervisor institution you choose as three years in a long time. I think that how you collaborate with your supervisor and the research environment you work in does have an effect on the end result of your PhD and how much you enjoy it.

R

I agree with Sylvester, youve been offered funding! brilliant, take it because some of us haven't managed to get it and are suitably jelous :p secondly In my opinion I'd rather have a supervisor i know i can trust at a not so great uni than a posh uni and a useless supervisor!