After 4 months started my PhD study...

B

Hi guys,

I would like to share my experience after 4 months started my PhD life. I've made a good choice of my main supervisor. He's a genius, considerably one of the best in this field of studies, with big grant from government and companies, even my senior which did his study 20++ years ago regretted for not choosing him as his supervisor during his PhD study. As a man with lots of experience and knowledge, I can sense that he guide me in the right direction. Once in every 2-3 weeks, we will have a review meeting on my progress with co-supervisor. I've no problem with both of them and the system.

(Part 1)

B

(Part 2)
I've also allocated a workstation inside my supervisor's lab. There are many other international students and few local as well. However, since the day I was in the lab, I don't think they are really comfortable with me. You know, came from a country which Jeremy Clarkson refer as a 'jungle', I assume it must be something to do with my third world country mentality and the way i present myself to my lab mates. The annoying part is, they pretend as if they did not see me walk past through them, even at a time there are only two of us. A friendly smile reply with a sour face, a friendly question, for the sake to keep the conversation started replied with a single line of words! My previous bosses, and current boss as well always thought me to be humble wherever and whoever you are, especially in research business. I guess this is the new 'trend' of a modern researcher.

B

(Part 3)
As for know, I'm still happy with my life here, blessed with a cute 7 months baby girl and a helpful wife who also doing her PhD study as well, I really enjoy live in this country as we'll be here for only 3 years. I also have my fellow countrymen whose studying here as well. Recently, made some new friends at the place where I work as part-timer. I'm very happy and comfortable talking with my ugly boss, fat supervisor and 3 somalians at my workplace rather than put on my own effort to have a conversation with my lab mates.

Back to the topic, to put it in short word, I just want to share with you guys that I have a very understanding boss, and that's it...

S

why you started your PhD in March? Normally we start in Sept.

J

I've been told by the uni that I'm applying to that it would be advantageous to start in Sept as I'll be able to attend induction sessions (although being PT I'm not sure that I will) but that theoretically I can start at any time in the year

S

hey bitterbutter,
i suppose hardly anyone is in a perfect situation. so in yours, the downside is the lab-mates.
do you feel the way they treat you is more like ignoring you, or is it rather condescending?
you could try just keeping on - maybe they will unfreeze sometime. or you could maybe address the problem directly - ask them why they never talk to you. if you do that, be prepared and ready to hear things you don't expect. maybe they don't even notice that they don't talk to you? maybe they feel it is you who makes conversation impossible? it might be a genuine intercultural misunderstanding - these things are hard to resolve and it takes a lot of mental flexibility from all sides. good luck!

B

hi shani
thanks for your opinion. I got the mixed feeling of both actually; between ignoring and condescension. On the second thought, I guess it's just me, you know. Maybe my lab-mates just too busy, after all, doing PhD requires deep thinking, or they just plain busy with their assignment while I'm here complaining about them. So, I guess I should stop complaining, continue with the assignment and enjoy life as it is!

B

I have exactly the opposite situation. I was the only english person doing PhD at a research centre in UK. I seemed to be left out of most activities/conversations, replied to with one word/one line answers, left to work alone whilst everyone else seemed to help each other...etc. I suppose its just the luck of the draw.

K

Hi everybody,

I also just started my PhD 4 months ago, after recover from maternity leave. My lab-mates also behave like yours. At first, I was also feel hurt and think that they are not helpful. But, when I analyze the situation, I realize that eveybody is busy and the lab mates really did not know the answer for my questions.

PhD required hard work, and also a team work. Just be humble...

S

I your username bitterbutter!

B

Eh, I'm not the only one here. Well, as I said earlier, no use of complaining. What do you guys do about it? How do you cope with life during your lab hours? For discussion/ debate on research specific subjects, I still can do this with both of my supervisors, apparently, both of them are not always free to 'entertain' me, alternatively, I registered myself on few discussion board online related to my research study where I can share my thought with others who share the same interest. I also enjoy the benefit of extra hours focusing on my assignment or modify my coding to perfection, due to fact that nobody really interested to have a chat or looking after me!