After the PhD?

P

What do you plan to do after you have finished your PhD?
For those who have finished their PhDs, what did you do afterwards?
Did you have some time out to travel, or go straight into another job/course?

I'm curious to know whether most decide to stay in academia, and about what sorts of non-academic employers appreciate applicants with PhDs.

I am doing a science PhD, but am unsure whether I want to stick in academia (and industry in my area is declining at the moment), so am interested in the range of options out there!

B

I'm long-term seriously ill, and can't work, even part-time, in academia, or industry, or any other job.

I'm planning to produce some more journal articles, following advice from my external in the viva, and a chat with my supervisor afterwards. And I'd like to do some more independent research, and turn those into more articles.

Well I want a job in academia, or possibly a research job in the public sector. I'm also thinking that because there are NO jobs at the mo, then maybe I should have a baybeeeee, (hope hubs doesn't see this! He thinks I hate kids!) But problem is that obviously I have no maternity leave because I'm not employed, and it would mean getting a job when I wanted one would be nigh on impossible.

D

Hi Poi, I work in the private sector and have done for just over a year now (just started a second job recently having been in my first one for a year).

What do non-academic employers appreciate? Ability to project manage, presentation abilities, logical thinking and a logical pair of eyes on suggestions that may seem a bit wild and wacky, the ability to get down to the bottom of a problem, can pick things up quickly.

I would NEVER be tempted into academia - I earn more than my peers and my conditions and perks are as good, if not better.

S

I was thinking unemployment. Maybe a part-time job in a bar.

Quote From Slizor:

I was thinking unemployment. Maybe a part-time job in a bar.

I'm actually thinking minimum wage might be my only hope - well I did until my dad gave me a doom and gloom speech and told me that Polish people have got all those jobs (he's not racist, he likes poles, but just wanted to point out that I wouldn't be able to get a job).

S

I want to work in academia. If I didn't I wouldn't be bothering with a PhD. I am realistic though, I know I probably won't get a job. If it doesn't work out I'll try for private sector research work or civil service. I refuse to do a minimum wage job after all this, there is no way that is going to happen.

T

Hiya,
if you are interested in the statistics, I co-wrote 'What do researchers do? First destinations of doctoral graduates by subject': http://www.vitae.ac.uk/CMS/files/upload/Vitae-WDRD-by-subject-Jun-09.pdf. So, depending on your discipline and subject, about 50% of people stay in academia.... but have a look. This is all just first destinations, what people do long term is very varied (and really interesting!).

If its stories you are interested in try: http://www.vitae.ac.uk/CMS/files/upload/Vitae-WDRD-career-profiles-Jun-09.pdf or http://www.vitae.ac.uk/policy-practice/200941/Database-of-career-stories.html.

(DM me for glossy hard copies if you want..)
hope that helps!
Tennie