Afternoon viva

N

======= Date Modified 27 10 2010 14:10:45 =======
Heya, My viva is at 3:30 in the afternoon - not today another day! Its a strange time because its like what do you do for all of that time. I personally would find it difficult to do anything constructive during that time. So i have a hair appointment booked for 0930 and am not sure as to what else to do. My friends think I am being too laid back that day by going to meet a friend for coffee also that day. But i think i need the pep talk. But what would others do/have done in an afternoon viva situation. I just don't knwo whats best. Because I am feeling quite negative I fear I would drive myself to panic alot which may not let me defend the thesis to the best of my abilty - well if its worth defending. I feel very low about it all. I just think that if i fail atleast I would have something postiive to come out of the day which is a nice haircut!

C

not had my viva as still in 3rd year, bvut think I'll be shi!!ing myself on the day.
Had an upgrade review earlier this year later afternoon and tried to relax and keep my mind off it. I think a haircut is a good idea, so long as you can sit still!

J

Wow... I'm impressed. Kudos to you for going for a haircut and meeting friends before your viva!! I think I'd probably spend the whole day locked away, rocking in a corner and, to be frank, s**ting myself. Fingers crossed it's a morning one for me.

I've set the *provisional* date of my viva and am already feeling somewaht panicked. I think that's probably because of the sheer amount I still have left to do though!

Anyway, good luck! I hope you come out successful, and I'm sure your new hair-do will look fab!!

N

I just have no idea what else to do. Everyone thinks i am crazy for getting a hair cut that day... but how else do I spend my day without going mad and getting myself into a panic?! I just have no idea.

P

Hi Negativepinklady,

My advice is do whatever it feels right for you. If getting a haircut and meeting a friend is the best way for you to calm down and relax before the viva, just do it. Try to remember other stressing situations you've been through before and what you did in order to be successful.

Best of luck!

S

Hiya

Also haven't had a viva, but have had plenty of job interviews, some in the afternoon. I've tended to work all day - concentrating on something took my mind off the upcoming interview. Would it helped if you did a piece of work - are you writing articles from your thesis now or anything? Then a little while before the interview I always go and sit somewhere quiet, do breathing exercises, and repeat an affirmation to myself over and over and over. Seems to help.

Don't be so hard on yourself, and try and start to think positively. You won't help yourself by thinking that you're going to fail. You want to pass right? Well tell yourself that you're going to! Start believing it! You're not going to convince examiners if you don't believe in your work. C'mon, pick yourself up, stick affirmations all around your study, start telling yourself that your thesis is good and you're going to pass!!

A

Hi there
I think you are just right for what you have planned that day, if you know yourself that you won't be able to do anything constructive that morning and you'll just work yourself up into a tizzy then go and do something else to take your mind off it. Arrange whatever you like now, at the time, if you think you really want to stay and do some last minute prep then I'm sure your friend will understand if you have to cancel :-) Best doing what you can to keep yourself calm!

S

I also agree that you just do whatever it takes to get through this - if its getting your hair done and chilling with a friend then that's great, others would prefer to be uber busy, I think I'll join the rocking in the corner muttering profanities brigade when my time comes. That's late, a nightmare really, I hope that when I finally get there that mine will be a morning, but if it isn't I know that there is no possible way I'll get ANYTHING constructive done during the morning, I, like you, would get wound up. So.. do what you need to do, I don't think you're crazy, you'll go in there, newly done hair looking fabulous and having had a chat with someone who cares for you - that's great :-)

As the others say though, drop the negativity, you'll give it out like skunk spray ;-) lol. You've got to believe in this - look what you've done - I'm in awe of you!!!!! You've got there, you've submitted, I'm sure your work is brilliant, believe it and be positivepinklady!!!! You've done something that not many people can, and now its your chance to really brag about it, discuss it in depth for a few hours with some great minds and come out of there Dr Pinklady :-)