Agggh need to vent

E

My endocrinologist (spelling???) told me something that I never thought I would hear from someone well-educated (or considered to be)!
He asked me once last year, what are you doing for two years? A PhD shouldn't be more than a year and a half! 6 months for studying, 6 months for research and 6 months for writing.....
I felt like a big zero, but then I thought it over and decided that I will not listen to anybody anymore! Even if it is a year and a half (I know it isn't) I am going to do it in 4 years (at least), because I don't want to preasure myself (I am wirking FT at the same time)! So when someone is saying something like that, I just look at them and smile (you know that smile that says "Oh you are an idiot but we don't tell you!")

K

Looks like loads of us have experienced this one! I was at the opticians last year and the guy was asking me what I was doing while he was testing my eyes. I replied I was doing a PhD and he said, 'oh, so basically lozzing around doing nothing then'....I just laughed and replied that most likely I worked far more hours than he did -he didn't pursue it any further! Sooooo irritating! KB