AHRC funding + full time job

A

This is forbidden under AHRC terms and conditions. Has anybody ever done it, for any length of time?

PM me if you don't want to post - I could understand, as there are quite a few people on here flaming anyone who asks this kind of question. It seems to irritate people without funding that those with it aren't overjoyed at the prospect of living on that alone (or capable of completing a thesis to a high standard whilst also working). (up)

B

I have an ESRC studentship and am considering a 20 hour per week part time job, but I'm way ahead with my thesis. You won't find people 'flaming' you here, nor is it about them being 'irritated' that those with funding also want to work. People here have experience of these issues and are only trying to help with their advice.

I assume you mean you would be doing a full-time funded PhD and a full-time job. I guess I'd ask yourself the simple question; can you do 80 hours work per week? My PhD ate up a lot of my time in the first couple of years, I wouldn't have dreamt of taking on a job over 8 hours, let alone full time. It's only now, having written my thesis, that I'm considering a part-time position, but I definitely wouldn't be doing full-time work.

To be honest, if you're hoping people will reassure you that a full-time PhD and a full-time job can be done together (whilst staying sane), I don't think that's the answer you're going to get (up)

S

I haven't any experience of this so can't answer your question, but I just wanted to comment on this part of your post:

Quote From ashleywilliams:

PM me if you don't want to post - I could understand, as there are quite a few people on here flaming anyone who asks this kind of question. It seems to irritate people without funding that those with it aren't overjoyed at the prospect of living on that alone (or capable of completing a thesis to a high standard whilst also working). (up)

I think the reason people get a bit annoyed with fully funded students working more than they are 'allowed' is because funding can be extremely hard to come by - therefore it rankles when someone is awarded funding and then is flippant about it. Personally, I think it's a bit cheeky to receive funding and then work full time as well. The funding body are giving you a lot of money (if you add up the 3/4 years plus fees) and they expect you to be dedicating yourself to your studies and getting your PhD done promptly, and by working full time you are most definitely not doing that. It verges on fraud to me - they are giving you that money with the expectation that you are using it to support yourself through your studies, not just as pocket money on top of a full time wage.

I understand that the average stipend is not a lot of money, and so a lot of students do some extra work to supplement it. I was fully funded and had a part-time teaching job as well (roughly 6-8 hours per week, only during term time).

Obviously I don't know your personal circumstances so I'm not aiming this at you, I'm just trying to explain why people are generally against the idea of working full time alongside your PhD. As you pointed out, it is also hard to imagine that someone who is working full time could produce as high quality a thesis as someone who isn't.

A

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses so far.

I'm not actually looking for reassurances around the feasibility of my suggestion in terms of timings, effect on sanity, etc. I'm wondering if it is actually possible to get away with this, or whether you'd be automatically caught. A few people on this forum allude to others being pulled up for doing this but I'm wondering how this happens, is it automatically detected from your tax code or does somebody need to dob you in?

I'm really looking for people who have pulled this off and not be caught, or those that have tried it and been penalised. Failing that, people who have first hand experience of others trying to do this. I've already had 2 great responses off this thread so thanks to those two.

B

Quote From Ashleywilliams:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses so far.

I'm not actually looking for reassurances around the feasibility of my suggestion in terms of timings, effect on sanity, etc. I'm wondering if it is actually possible to get away with this, or whether you'd be automatically caught. A few people on this forum allude to others being pulled up for doing this but I'm wondering how this happens, is it automatically detected from your tax code or does somebody need to dob you in?

I'm really looking for people who have pulled this off and not be caught, or those that have tried it and been penalised. Failing that, people who have first hand experience of others trying to do this. I've already had 2 great responses off this thread so thanks to those two.

Hmm, I've not ever heard of someone being 'caught' for doing it, I only imagine that could happen if your PhD work was suffering; then someone may do a bit of digging and find out and that could have an impact on your funding (though you'd probably just get told to jack the full-time job in and carry on with your PhD, I don't think they could just take the funding off you).

I don't think the tax man/AHRC and your uni all have each others' phone numbers; I don't think it can be detected from tax codes. For example, I have an ESRC studentship and the part-time jobs I've had in the past never know anything about my funding.

Sorry about all the 'I don't think' lol, I'm not certain on any of it as I've never known it to happen. Basically, as long as neither your PhD or your full-time job suffer, then I don't think anyone would really know. Just remember that your PhD may involve doing e.g research training/attending departmental meetings and going to seminars etc, so if you regularly missed then and had no explanation for it then that could prove tricky.