Almost there

D

My viva was postponed because my sup was unexpectedly hospitalized. Good news is she's fully recovered, in fine health, and the viva is rescheduled for next week.

There have been a lot of obstacles along this journey: I left my program twice because of serious family problems, lost my funding, found new funding - if I named all the things that went wrong, this would be a very, very long post!

A lot of people come to this forum deliberating about whether to quit or carry on. Very recently I discovered this: it's okay to take a day or two to rest and walk on the beach, collecting your thoughts. Stepping back and taking a rest sometimes can be the best way of seeing clearly through a problem, or tough situation. It's hardly a novel idea, but I think PhD candidates are so used to being constantly hard at work that the idea of taking a rest doesn't register.

Academically, I learned a lot from this PhD experience, but learning when to slow down and keep things in perspective has been the most valuable lesson.

D

Well best of luck to you for next week but I'm sure you'll be fine. If you're anything like me you'll just want it over and done with ASAP.
(up)(up)(up)

S

Hi Dalmation,

Just wanted to add my support and say good luck for next week - my viva is next week too so I know what you're going through right now!! Have to say though, it sounds like my journey to get here has been much easier than yours. So well done on making it this far, and as your title says - almost there!!! :-)

L

Good luck with your viva dalmation, and you too smoobles! I think we have to stop and stand still sometimes, otherwise we lose sight of the big picture. I am feeling no guilt about having 2 weeks off starting from Monday!

D

Thanks for the well-wishes! And good luck to you, Smoobles! I'll be looking out for good news from you on the forum next week. 8-)