Am confused and scared!!

L

Hi all.. joined my PhD in europe recently. It has been 3 months since i joined the lab..My welcoming word by a lady..in the lab, was that i should be careful because our professor fires people like on daily basis. Only then i came to know, i am not in a structured PhD programme and that my professor actually hadnt even read the resume i sent him..He just hires students, make them work and if he is not satisfied he fires them immediately, like whenever he wishes.

Now since i am here, i have been giving good results but i am constantly worried that he might fire me anytime soon..I really want to work under a supervisor in a regular PhD programme. What should i do at this stage..i really want to leave this lab, cos the thought of getting fired is really scary..Since i came here he fired 2 people..one for getting pregnant, though she had good results, another lady was fired becos she didnt have pleasing manners...

The above sounds like my second post-doc supervisor, who was also a difficult character. You've basically got a personality Professor who behaves and acts like God.

If you've still got your referees on side, I'd quietly try to look for another PhD elsewhere. Keep your head down for now though until you secure something. Remember to have a good look around any potential new University, remembering to talk to other students there, to ensure a repeat performance is unlikely.

I'd also look for employment at least to pay the bills until you find something else or if you've decided PhD is not for you.

Don't leave (unless forced to) until you've secured something else, as finding another PhD Studentship or alternatively a job is more difficult if you're currently unemployed.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

B

I'm guessing from your post that you're somewhere like Germany where PhD students are paid employees of the professor with the pluses and minuses that brings. In those settings I think you are always going to have some issues around hierarchy and especially so where the culture is that the professor is god-like and the employees the minions. If you are somewhere like that then you might need to look for a different system entirely that suits your needs better. But as Ian says I wouldn't jump yet even if you've decided this isn't where you'll get a PhD - just regard it as any other job with a tough boss, until you have better options.
On the positive side, you probably have more rights as an employee than a student - on the other hand exercising those rights is very tough. Is there any sort of advice centre at the university? If you're not from the country you are in, finding out what the cultural norms and laws are can be helpful to help you decide what is and what isn't acceptable.

L

@Mackem beefy and bewildered...Thanks a lot for understanding my position and posting a sensible advice. Yes he acts God like and i have got really good prior research experience and i have good referees. Like Mackem suggested, i am keeping my head down..so far i have been giving good results and i am fine..he even mailed me that he is fortunate to have me in the lab..but i am sure the next second, when i dont have good results, he would not hesitate to fire me..

Yes i have got my visa under the category of special employee..well i am paid lesser than what an actual PhD student is paid..Though my working hours is from 9 to 5, thats just for namesake..And reading scientific journals and attending lectures is considered waste of time in the lab..I am looking for various positions..

I have a good prior lab research experience ...A good CV and good recos..Waiting to share the news that i got my phd in a good lab in the forum..cos i love to do a phd..

D

It is so unfair to fire someone because of pregnancy !!!! And it is shocking that there is not a law to protect employees!

n any case it seems like a stressful environment to work to, so as others have suggested, start applying to other unis where you are actually a PhD student. We do have annual reviews but cannot be compared with daily tip-toeing in the lab. Good luck!