Am i worth a PHD?

B

Hello everyone, I am currently pursuing a 2 yr MSC in an engineering field and my background is in computer science. My MSC is quite multi-disciplinary since its in the area of computer vision and also Robotics and sometimes i never think I am really worth to take a PHD. I have not failed any of the exams and so far I am an average student and doing fine and working hard.However, I am still not very confident and would like to know what it really takes for someone to take a PHD and see if I could get my head into that world after my MSC. Kindly, advise me especially current PHD students.

Regards and Thank you in advance.

E

Ben

Have you asked your current tutor/supervisor, and/or any potential PhD supervisor?
I am a distinctly average but hard-working BSc student and I have an offer of a place for next year. I have heard (from the careers adviser at my Uni) that the skills that make you a top-of-the-class undergrad (and presumably also taught-course MSc student) are different from those that you need to complete a PhD, which made sense to me.

However I am not a current PhD student - others might take a different view.

ejc x

S

I think your acreers advisor was right about that. Top grades are often required because competition for funding is fierce - especially in some fields. But that has little to do with what it takes to do a PhD. Good qualities for that would include: stamina, self-discipline, initiative (but not so much you do something crazy without getting advice!), patience (there's a lot of just plodding through and amassing 'stuff'), organisation skills, and perseverence. I guess it doesn't hurt to be smart - but you probably won't be using your smarts a lot fo the time. The kind of student that crams for exams and dosses the rest of the year will find a PhD a real shocker (I was once such a student - but now I'm reformed )

T

first of all, are you interested in research? if not, Phd is not the way to go; if yes, then good chance, and if a strong YES, then absolutely!

S

My dear Ben, go ahead and finish up ur MSc first. Then, if u have decided to do doctorate, go ahead and do it. All u need is strong motivation and hard working. Don’t worry much on d pessimism that appears here. As d life have its ups and downs, so as doing doctorate. Please ensure that u select research that u r interested in instead of some field because of d availability of fund.
Cheers, mate.

B

Thank you very much guys for the advice, well considering the comitment neaded by my MSC, I have been able to keep up the pressure. It is quite extensive since it borrows principles from different fields and well running for two years. However,there is always that question of what really I want to do and whether I can make it to a PHD considering I am an average student. But again i did pick up something here, I think it's all hardwork!!!

Thank you very much guys!!!

S

Ben - I really think average is fine. I'm sure most students could do a PhD is they were motivated and disciplined enough - and could get funding.

B

Wow, that's very encouraging!In terms of discipline and hardwork,Yes i do agree I have grown up with those two elements and made it upto this level. Thank you.

P

I totally agree with 'all you need is motivation'..

I'm sure some people will think that the PhD degree has been diluted after reading this post, but hey.. I've got one (or will have in 2 months when I graduate) so I feel slightly qualified to talk.

I failed my A level maths degree, didn't get the points required to get to the Uni of my choice, but they accepted me anyway as I was a woman on a male dominated course....I got a 2:1 in my BSc and went straight onto my PhD.

My PhD was completely tailored to my strengths (so no maths) and I found it easier in parts than BSc modules... I think the hardest part is slogging away, re-writing and re-writing things, getting more and more corrections and keeping up enough motivation to not give up...

It's NOT all about being 'amazingly clever' or about being able to kiss ass... so I think you'll do fine :)

B

Hi Guys, thank you very much! I think I've had this notion that PHD students should be above average. My girlfriend has always told me I am well worth a PHD and I should look forward to it! But, I have rather been telling her that I am just an average student so no good chance for PHD. But after reading your posts I did realize it takes alot to be successful in a PHD while actually I have most of the qualities. Will certainly,think about it now...