American perceptions of a British education/PhD

O

I think either way its a sense of the grass being greener the other side of the Atlantic, whichever side you are on! As an American in the UK, there is I notice a lot of interest in US universities, but the same seems true the other way, a lot of interest in the US in UK universities! I think sometimes one discounts where one is--again, both sides of the Atlantic. In some measure, the PhDs are not the same, as the research PhD programme in the UK varies completely from the taught PhD programe in the US. And in my field, law, there is no such thing as a PhD in law in the US--perhaps combined with a JD degree, but its NOT the same in any respect to a PhD in law in the UK. So in my case, its apples and oranges, this degree does not exist in the US! So how will a PhD from the UK in law be received in the US which has no such thing? WHO KNOWS?!

M

Hi Olivia, there is an equivalent (I say that loosely) to a PhD in law in the States - the JSD (Doctor of Judicial Science). This is the terminal law degree in the US and the nearest thing to a PhD in law over here. Although, some uni's allow JSD to be submitted in 1/2 years, so I doubt they are of the same calibre of as a PhD in law in the US. However, it most equivalent to a PhD in terms of being a substantial independent research work.

The JD leans more towards a British LLB in terms of calibre and difficulty.

I understand what you mean about the grass is always green mentality, but N.America does offer a better relative standard of living for academics (I think this reflected in the lack of N.American academics we have over here). If I remember correctly the best place for academics is Canada, followed by Australia (from a study in the Guardian a while back).

E

"I think this reflected in the lack of N.American academics we have over here"
Really? we seem to have quite few in our department.

S

We have loads too - and europeans. They all say that with a family they prefer the British system where it is much easier to get a permanent, secure job. Although the US may pay more relative to living standards, getting tenure is totally different. (PS this is humanities & Soc Sci)

M

Obviously I'm making generalisations based on my subject area and my experience, but I rarely see US professors here - visiting profs yes - but I'm yet to meet one that's settling down here.

P

Getting a postdoc in the States shouldn't be a problem. Bear in mind you will be worked like a slave, though.

Getting a permanent position is another matter. To achieve this you really will have to be outstanding and it most probably will require, at a minimum, 3 or 4 postdoc positions and an exemplery publishing record to even be considered. It's not uncommon for people to wait until their 40s for a permanent position, having been in academia throughout their working life.

There is a dire shortage of permanent positions throughout academia and the situation is especially acute in the US. Furthermore, you will be competing against postdocs from overseas (usually China and India) who basically dedicate their entire lives to their careers and are quite willing to work 70 hr weeks to achieve their objective. Good luck!

A

" They all say that with a family they prefer the British system where it is much easier to get a permanent, secure job."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh, stop it; my sides are hurting. Don't you know any actual UK academics?

S

oh, arachne, sure, it sounds weird given the small amount of jobs available over here in Britain. but hey, all is relative. in switzerland for example, there are NO permanent jobs in academia between PhD and full professor. i think it's the same in germany and many other countries. so, yes: it is definitely easier to get a permanent job in Britain! no matter how funny it seems to you.

often you only start to appreciate the advantages of your own country when you've experienced what it is like elsewhere. the small number of available jobs in Britain - heck, it's a small number more than everywhere else!

A

I guess this is why scientists are haemorrhaging out into industry. It's a real shame, and there doesn't seem to be too much drive to change the status quo currently.

I was also under the impression that Brits and Europeans are flocking across the Atlantic because academics can get tenure earlier there. I suppose the grass is always greener indeed.

S

Actually that is what I hear too - that it's easier to get tenure in the US. Probably depends on the field and how you rank on the job market.

S

arachne, I made it clear I was referring to humanities and social science. Maybe scientists are leaving as no-one will employ them due to their complete lack of ability to read (if you are an example of a scientist that is).

A

Owned I admit I didn't read your post properly.