An advice from my experience

O

I'd like to say to anyone thinking to quit the phd... don't do it!

I started phd after graduation here in Italy, then I left it after 18 months, because I cannot stand my tutor any more, and because my research group wasn't good at all (yes, I admit I didn't investigate enough before starting it).
Now I have a boring job, as a computer programmer, I pass all my days in an office, and I haven't any possibility to do anyhing interesting, because I haven't any contacts or raccomendations.
So.. follow my advice... don't give up your phd!

S

In all fairness that is only your experience - you can't say you would have been happier if you had stayed in your PhD.

R

Would you consider restarting a PhD?

I presume you earn more now, would that be an issue withholding you? Or are there other factors?

Just curious..

O

because i've no contacts, no references. And I'm already 27. That train has already passed...
I'm angry with my ex-tutor beacuse if she wasn't so unbearable, i could have my phd finished.

P

27? And you call yourself 'oldguy'? And you talk as though all your chances in life are gone? That just sounds downright pathetic and defeatist to me.

Pull your socks up, stop moping about feeling sorry for yourself, and go out and start making some of your own opportunities. Bloody 27 years old and talking about the trains passed already...Piffle!

I

pleased to meet you, 'oldguy'... (Offended, 32)

S

Well at least you didn't self-diagnose yourself with some sort of syndrome.

More seriously, life is very much what you make it so blaming your ex-tutor for everything doesn't carry much weight. Your priority is to get out there and get some work experience (I had to do this after I graduated into a deep recession in an area of high unemployment in the early 90s). The ball is very much in your court. Good luck!

R

Hi Oldguy

I agree with the other students.

There was a question some time ago regaring age of students and this showed that there was a wide range, 27 would be in the middle I would think.

Obviously there are people of 60 who are young in mind and people of 20 who have very conservatist views

Maybe you are wiser / more experienced now?

Give it a try!

N

Well I might be wrong but I think this whole idea of considering yourself old when you're in your 30s (or even mid/late-20s) is very common in Southern Europa cultures (I'm from Spain myself). At 30 you're generally considered too old to start a new job or switch to a different area, let alone start a bachelors or a PhD! And it's even worse for women. Well just an observation, don't know if it's too scientific.

R

Hi Nimrod81

yet would that not be a reason for a paradigm shift?
I mean people are getting older all the time and social systems are probably going to collapse unless "old people" work longer.
Also the idea of a lifelong job seems no longer realistic

What do you think?

N

Sure a paradigm shift is needed... but I think that some countries like the UK seem readier to accept it than others like Spain or Italy where a woman in her thirties is often seen as an old lady.

A

"Spain or Italy where a woman in her thirties is often seen as an old lady"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's spain and italy out for holidays for me then!

I

can vouch for that! Last time I went to Spain I was feelin good, got my nicely tanned legs out out and went for lunch. Greeted on approach to the cafe, not with 'Seniorita', not with 'Seniorina' - but, shock and horror, with 'SENIORA'!!! Now, I don't know exactly what this means - but it doesn't sound good

N

LOL "Señorita" is used for unmarried (so usually younger) ladies whereas "señora" is used for married (so usually older) women. In situations where you don't know if a lady is married or not, the pattern is "señorita" for young ladies, "señora" for (ehem) older ones. So no it doesn't sound too well does it.

K

When I read the forst post a couple of days ago, I imagined its author to be a 50 something, pipe in hand, slippers on, reminiscing about the "good old days" of academia....

NOT A 27 YEAR OLD! For God's sake, get back on it if it's what you want - you're far from being over the hill!

(for what it's worth, I'm 34 next month, have just got my PhD and am referred to as a "young" academic by some of my work colleagues)