An update...and more advice please!

E

Some of you may remember that I posted a while back, about poor supervision...

The University has reached a resolution, which is to swop the order of my supervisors around. Apparently, my old main sup who I had all the issues with did not realise what she was doing wrong (she's been an academic for 30 years) and sees this as a way to make amends, and, due to the University being unable to find another subject expert, this is the solution that they have offered.

I have turned this down, and instead proposed a slight change of topic/adaption to meet the knowledge area of my old second supervisor, and appoint a second supervisor who would guide me with the PhD process. They have gone away to think about this.

My question is, as I am funded and the supervision has been poor (see old post) is it worth trying to get a year's additional funding from the University to accommodate the fact that I may have to change topics to change from a supervisor who has been very poor? I have a year's funding left and clearly won't finish in this time.

Milk and cookies to all who got this far!! :-)

L

======= Date Modified 25 Jun 2012 22:12:40 =======
Well at least they are taking steps to resolve the situation. I'm not sure about the funding question; I haven't come across any cases where this happened, but there may be a small possibility. I don't remember your specific post from before, but I doubt a university would ever provide more (already scarce) funding to a student because of supervision. There are just too many people who have issues with supervisors and they may say you have to take some of the responsibility for your own lack of progress - especially if you have a second supervisor. Not saying that is fair, but I can see imagine them making that point.

Good luck with your amended topic/new primary supervisor. (up)

S

The worst they can say is no. Teh you are in the same boat as you would've been anyway. Therefore I suggest you ask them about the funding.

======= Date Modified 26 Jun 2012 13:32:38 =======

Quote From epic:

Some of you may remember that I posted a while back, about poor supervision...

The University has reached a resolution, which is to swop the order of my supervisors around. Apparently, my old main sup who I had all the issues with did not realise what she was doing wrong (she's been an academic for 30 years) and sees this as a way to make amends, and, due to the University being unable to find another subject expert, this is the solution that they have offered.

I have turned this down, and instead proposed a slight change of topic/adaption to meet the knowledge area of my old second supervisor, and appoint a second supervisor who would guide me with the PhD process. They have gone away to think about this.

My question is, as I am funded and the supervision has been poor (see old post) is it worth trying to get a year's additional funding from the University to accommodate the fact that I may have to change topics to  change from a supervisor who has been very poor? I have a year's funding left and clearly won't finish in this time.

Milk and cookies to all who got this far!! :-)

I know of an instance where because of misguidance, a candidate (and colleague of mine at the time) was given an extra six months funding by the University itself.

It might be worth a go and at least ask, as due to this misguidance you will be placed in a financially disadvantageous position.

Ensure you have details of everything that happened in writing as you may legally have a case for compensation after the PhD is finished, if extra funding is not offered (what you got was not what it said on the tin, etc.).   A chat with a solicitor might help.

However, I wouldn't go in heavy handed at this stage as the University may close ranks to leave you out in the cold.   If you do chase up extra money or compensation, if you need to pursue things legally do after the fact if possible.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)