and now....

E

I just returned from a week at my university in UK (I am doing a PT PhD in UK, while living and working FT in Greece).
I had three meetings with my supervisors, where we talked about what I did since our last meeting (which was reading and writing a first analysis chapter) and we scheduled what I have to do for our next meeting, and the rest of my time there I was in the library buried under books, photocopies and notes....
So, in one month I have to give them an outline of my introduction (which I hate, as I like writing introductions after I finish everything else) and one good literature review chapter, on which they will comment and I would have to do another draft before our next meeting in two months time.

There is a lot of work for me, isn't it?
I must get on with it.......
:-(

I hate work! Good luck Emmaki :-)

J

Are you full time?
I agree about writing the introducion at then end - can you just write some headings (much of which you can get from a research methods / how to write a phd book)
I have 2 literature review chapters to write by end december and I am part time and have only written 2,000 (not very good) words which I did in July before I went on my research trip; since I got back I have presented at a conference, am rewriting a non-PhD paper (need to do that for research output police at work), am writing up my research notes fomr the summer and transcribing interviews and am working on a research seminar I have to give. So I am doing lots but I just can't get into writing the literature review :-(
And teaching starts in a couple of weeks so I am getting ready for new academic year.

A

Good luck Emmaki! It is a lot of work, but you can do it. Just do a rough draft of the outline at the start, and you can build on it over time before the next meeting, just jot down any ideas you get. Before you know it you'll have a decent outline, and you can still modify it at the end to suit your thesis better, it's only an outline. For your lit review, just break it down into little sections, and write a bit at a time on each section. I found it can be quite helpful to vary your writing over different sections, it helps you stay interesting and not get bogged down in too many minute details in just one section. Plus you'll find yourself with quite a bulky chapter in no time, which always helps the motivation!

E

Thank you all for your support and advice....
I know I can do it, it's just that it hit me as a huge load of work to do in one month (keep in mind that I am part-time and I work full-time and I am writing in a language that it not my native one....)
But, I guess if I just sit down with a calendar and make a programme, it is manageable, or at least that's what I want to believe :p

So, today I got back home from my trip to UK, so tomorrow I start planning. I have a rough idea of what will be in my literature review chapter, so I will just build on this idea (I have noooo idea about the intro, but something will come up)...

I like to be positive and optimistic! That's what I always do in my life, and that's what I will do now, as well!!!!!!!!

Thank you all again for your support. It is nice to have someone you can talk to (even online) about your problems and it's even better to know that these people understand you as they have gone through the same things (almost)!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!
:-x :-x :-x

B

Hi Emmaki,
I am also part-time, working full-time, in theory with some protected time from work (although I am writing in my first language at least - although if English is your second language I'm impressed - it's probably better than mine!). I'm trying to get into my lit review and introduction too so your post was really well timed for me. I like the idea of breaking it down into small sections. I think I'm going to write a list of points and then go through them referring back to my notes and papers to expand each point... but it's easy having a plan isn't it, much harder to act on the plan! :p

E

Good luck, Bfoxy!!!!!!!!!
If you get on with it you will see that it gets easier.....
I managed to make a plan for the lit.chapter and think about the intro.
Tomorrow I will start writing.....