another break in my heart and a deep one too

C

======= Date Modified 10 Feb 2010 19:53:36 =======
[/quote]

wj_gibson, it is a bit bad, academia, at the moment, isn't it? But I think that the blanket assertion that we're all doomed and unlikely to get employment as lecturers or researcher is a bit inaccurate. Some areas of research have much more money available to them than others (external sources) - and that's about it really. I just think that all the research that we'll be able to do will have to carry societal value (REF!) - and there won't be nearly as much research for the joy of learning and discovery.

[/quote]

Yes, and this is the reason I know my future as a researcher is doomed. The "societal value" of my field, eighteenth-century history, is far from immediately obvious to policy makers and external funding sources. As such, I would expect in the decade for a lot of university history departments to atrophy away. Whole areas of expertise are already been cut away from some departments, and will not be replaced by new staff or new graduate students. This means, sadly, that "history" in a generation will be a lot more limited in scope.

R

Someone3: I'm British; I finished my PhD last year (August); compared to other PhD students around the world I definitely feel I had a severe lack of supervision; and now even though my thesis was highly praised and had very few corrections to do after my viva, I still have doubts whether my ex-supervisor will bother to help me get any papers from my research. So I just wanted to let you know: it's nothing personal, there are a lot of people in the same boat, and I guess all we can do is hang in there and keep applying!

I'm currently registered on over 20 job-searching websites. Been looking and applying for about a year now, with little/no success. Please note, however, that I'm only interested in company/non-academic work with (at least the potential for) long-term future, as I have no desire to stay in academia and absolutely no desire to teach etc. Could have had a job this month if I wanted, but rejected it because the company turned out to be tiny, and they wanted me to do too much for a rather poor salary. I can do better!

Hang in there, yeah? Would be nice to hear from others out there in the same/similar situation, and how you're dealing with it.  ;-)

H

Dude/dudette, cheer the f**k up you have got a PhD for Christ's sake.

You are the elite.

I would give everything I own to be in your situation right now.

I don't have a PhD but your attachment to your supervisor obviously comes from your being in his company for so long and you have come to rely on that support. Your attachment is emotional. You need to focus your emotions before you can be of any use to yourself.

Go on holiday, go backpacking with some hippies, go homeless for three months, none of it matters, you already have your PhD.

I would trade positions with you in an instant. I would sell my soul to be where you are. You need to get it into perspective.

Remember how far you have come and that no-one can take that from off you.

You need to build your new life so you have to take some time out and focus your chi.

Try a mystical and spiritual adventure into the unknown. Watch Forest Gump then walk round the world or something.

When you come back it will all become clear.

W

Quote From Huxley:

You are the elite.

I don't have a PhD but your attachment to your supervisor obviously comes from your being in his company for so long and you have come to rely on that support. Your attachment is emotional. You need to focus your emotions before you can be of any use to yourself.

Go on holiday, go backpacking with some hippies, go homeless for three months, none of it matters, you already have your PhD.

I would trade positions with you in an instant. I would sell my soul to be where you are. You need to get it into perspective.

You need to build your new life so you have to take some time out and focus your chi.

Try a mystical and spiritual adventure into the unknown. Watch Forest Gump then walk round the world or something.

tact
/tækt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [takt] Show IPA ,
–noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste; discrimination.
3. touch or the sense of touch.

sensitive
sen·si·tive
/'s?ns?t?v/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sen-si-tiv] Show IPA
–adjective
1. endowed with sensation; having perception through the senses.
2. having acute mental or emotional sensibility; aware of and responsive to the feelings of others.
3. involving work, duties, or information of a highly secret or delicate nature, esp. in government: a sensitive position in the State

H

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

Quote From Huxley:

You are the elite.

tact
/tækt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [takt] Show IPA ,
–noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste; discrimination.
3. touch or the sense of touch.

sensitive
sen·si·tive
/'s?ns?t?v/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sen-si-tiv] Show IPA
–adjective
1. endowed with sensation; having perception through the senses.
2. having acute mental or emotional sensibility; aware of and responsive to the feelings of others.
3. involving work, duties, or information of a highly secret or delicate nature, esp. in government: a sensitive position in the State

Yeah maybe your right.

I suppose I'm no use in a post-doc forum; I'll come back in four to ten years.

Keep your chin up OP you've come this far I highly doubt you'll helter skelter back to zero any time soon.