Another job app rejection letter

S

hi socpol
thanks for your response! Obviously I am not a paramedic but here is another example of a lectureship vacancy which does not need a phd.

love satchi

The link expires soon (28 aug).

The successful candidate will contribute to the development and teaching of modules in paramedic science, pre-hospital care and adult nursing. You will be required to supervise and assess students in clinical practice, undertake research, maintain and develop your clinical expertise and develop working links and partnerships with health care providers in the public and independent sectors.

Applicants must be a registered Paramedic with a good honours degree and experience of working in the pre-hospital care environment. You must be able to teach at undergraduate and postgraduate level and be committed to undertaking research, development or scholarship. Strong communication, presentation and interpersonal skills are essential.

Secondments will be considered.

J

I am considering to apply to A PhD at Edinburgh University about allosteric proteins for drugs and I am also considering doing an MPharm next year. What should I do? apply for the PhD and if that falls through get the MPharm at RGU? I phoned their admissions for pharmacy and I can get in!

S

hi janine
I think thats a great idea!!!

love satchi

J

Being technically a graduate doing an undergrad course!

S

hmmmm........but I guess this will work in the long term?

love satchi

H

Quote From JanineG:
I am considering to apply to A PhD at Edinburgh University about allosteric proteins for drugs and I am also considering doing an MPharm next year. What should I do? apply for the PhD and if that falls through get the MPharm at RGU? I phoned their admissions for pharmacy and I can get in!

Is the MPharm a 1 year Masters or a 4 year course? If the latter, then yes, you may well get in, but is it the best way to achieve whatever you long term goal is? (I haven't read the whole of this thread so I'm not sure what you're working towards or what your existing qualifications are).

J

It is the MPharm to be a pharmacist. I wanted to be a pharmacist since I was at school. So this is it now. Do I go for a PhD or now I have been told I can get onto an MPharm (kinda like a grad being on a medicine degree.) It would be going back to what I wanted to be originally!

H

Quote From JanineG:
It is the MPharm to be a pharmacist. I wanted to be a pharmacist since I was at school. So this is it now. Do I go for a PhD or now I have been told I can get onto an MPharm (kinda like a grad being on a medicine degree.) It would be going back to what I wanted to be originally!

Well if you want to be a pharmacist then it sounds ideal. But is there no graduate entry route? And why were you considering a PhD instead? It's also worth considering that student loans are not available for second time around at an undergraduate degree.

J

I didn't get the School technician in my home town. *sigh*

S

awwww...

love satchi

J

Haven't got a trainee technician job or a dispenser job. *sigh* am I going to get anything?

S

hi janine,
good news will come soon! let's keep positive and open to all outcomes :-)

love satchi

S

Hi Satchi ! How r u doing these days? I am so frustrated that I stopped applying now....lost faith on myself & my PhD ! Swetch

S

hi swetchha
I am ok thanks very much. I also haven't applied for jobs since the last rejection. It looks like you need to take a break from job search (like me :-))

the feeling of losing self-confidence will be only temporary, swetch, sometimes when you feel like you lost faith, it will be uncomfortble but it will pass eventually, please believe me. Remember that your phd was GOOD work and you ARE good work, I'll keep reminding you!!!

I was also depressed and lost faith in my phd as well but Swetchha the good news is that I have got over this! I'm not actively searching for jobs at the moment--but I still look at the adverts--AND this time I don't feel sad about them (that I don't have the proper publications etc. etc.) I don't feel sad anymore.

when we are feeling down about ourselves, it may be worthwhile to look at what we have in the present and see the good side of it--like me now....lady of leisure :-)))) (ok because I dont' have a job) but at least I don't have huge monetary debts---I have a nice bf--all my senses and faculties are working--and I can still sing!

please dont be too disheartened, dear swetchha,
and thank you so much for remembering me

love satchi

I

Hey Satchi
Join the club :( I just finished my PhD and although I'm getting teaching experience in Canada it's part-time and pays barely anything!!! On top of that, I've been applying for jobs back in the UK and here in Canada and am shocked at how competitive it is. At the moment, I'm focusing more on publications and am writing a book (and co-authoring a paper with someone): I think that's the best thing to do for the next 6-12 months as I don't see the job market improving even one bit.

Just to give you an idea, the Ministry of Finance here in Ontario need PhD-educated economists: 300 people applied for 1 position!!! Now, as previous posters said, connections play a big role (unfortunately I don't have a strong network in that respect). But it's safe to say the chances of me getting it are slim, and I have a PhD from a top uni, speak several languages, worked for four years in the City as an economist, have a publication close to acceptance, and am in the process of writing a book.

It's demoralising to say the least and recently it's been affecting my teaching (even my students notice) and just generally my mood has not been great. As you've been in this situation longer than myself, any tips you can perhaps give me to go thru life without despair?