Another one bites the dust

H

One of my supervisors want to change the focus of my thesis when all the fieldwork is done! Its called "reverse engineering"! I tried to accommodate this ludicrous suggestion but failed. Its come to an impasse and I've just requested for termination of supervision. Seems like a never ending story. Can't wait to dump the thesis into the fires of Modor - what a curse!

H

I always thought reverse engineering implied industrial espionage..?

H

It is written in a highly acclaimed book on "thesis writing" that some students change their research questions to fit the results! This also means the literature review has to be changed. Apparently, this is a norm in quantitative research, but certainly unheard of in qualitative research!

J

That's a great analogy with the fires of Mordor. Has there not been a whole story on this here in the forum once? PhD changes subject like the ring changes Frodo.

H

Glad you liked the analogy. Can't say I've 'mutated' like Frodo but friends and family members are tired of the adventure and want to return to the Shire, especially Samwise Gamgee. You might recalled that I sucessfully removed the first set of plonker supervisors. Well, this current one whom I want to remove is like the Balrock (?sp), and she managed to knobble one of the supervisors to persuade me to change the focus of my thesis (at this stage of the writing- she is so off her trolley!) The PGRT has submitted my request for removal of the supervisor to the Research Degrees Office for further action(s). What a journey! Can't believe I'm going round the same bend. Must be jinxed! Wish me luck chaps.

S

Yes it's common in quatitiative research - just part of the overall challenge. No idea about your area though. Sorry you have been struck by lightning twice, but in my limited experience, all the people I know who changed supervisors went from the frying pan to the fire. Not sure why that is.

H

Just how I felt -from the pan into the fire! Looks like another pit stop as the woman sup is not playing ball and resisting removal from the team!

R

Hi Hairui,

just seen your conundrum, this must be very draining!
So what do you think your options are?
New supervisor? Is this feasible?
Change the research? Is this ethical?

What are your thoughts?