Another rejection...how many did you guys get?

P

Quote From Alexandria:
Phormulater, What excellent advice did your colleague give you?

The advice that I got was really just CV advice. It must have worked as I got three interviews from the three applications I sent off. If you PM me I'll be happy to help- if you're still looking.

P

I applied for 5 places (one was when I was sort of desparate thinking I wouldn't get any offers but for the other 4 I really put in a lot of effort and the research was exactly what I wanted) and I got 3 offers out of those 4.

J

I am still waiting to hear back from unis I have applied for. Starting to get worried.

J

I didn't get onto the St Andrew's PhD :(

C

About 45,and ALLOWED FINALLY.

J

I'm about that now!

A

I had a good response through my proposal and the supervisor asked me for interview. They later asked me to send ppt and masters dissertation. When I sent them that now they told me they thought I lack rigour and precision. What does this mean? And they like my ideas but I need to put more effort in drafting. I feel so upset I really want this. After drafting shall I send them new copy anyway? Any advice? Thank you.

T

Wow, that's some direct feedback! It's good in a way, now you can try to improve your presentation for next time. Are there little typos etc in the work? Was the layout of the presentation consistent? Maybe that's what they mean by precision. Did you use the correct methods/tests/analysis?

A

Thank you TreeofLife. Yes it is good for me in a way. This was my say first application/rejection. I actually had to made ppt in one afternoon. I am sure its not good layout but I had to send it to them thought will give myself a day to prepare. Can you or anyone please share sample quality research proposal ppt layout with me? Can I still change/correct any mistakes from masters dissertation? It must be typos TreeofLife despite 4-5 friends have read through my proposal.

T

I'm assuming English isn't your first language? Do you mention this on your applications? You probably should because it might make the reviewers a little more forgiving.

There really is no 'good' layout, but this website covers the tips that most people mention:
http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/ld/resources/presentation/using-ppt

You will also need to ensure it is constructed logically and outlines all the information that should be in a proposal.

Technically you shouldn't correct mistakes after you have submitted the final version of a dissertation, but if you know that there are errors then it will look better to correct them (and let's face it, they are highly unlikely to find out you've corrected it after submission).

A

Thank you very much for your helpful reply Treeoflife.

Yes, English is not my first language unfortunately, I wish it was. I haven't mentioned it yet, I will start mentioning. You are right it may help. I think many academics are of course perfectionist as it is what job requires. So I understand their feedback. It is my fault.

Thank you very much for the website, I will work on it now. Yes, I have made an index page of all the points for slides. I will read through all the tips and construct whole presentation again.

I was worried about it will start correcting small errors. Thank you, it will look better and make me feel more confident about my applications too. They wont know.

Hope your PhD is going well.

G

It has been now 2-1/2 years since I completed my Masters, but still not been able to get a PhD. I have got more than 50 rejections, in fact after 50 I have altogether stopped counting. It is really disheartening to know that you are not able to pursue something in which you've your complete heart. I am a non-EU candidate, and it already puts me in tight spot over funding issues. But for once I just wish someone would give a kind look to my application. I have good grades, passed M.Sc with merit and excellent references; but still what's it of use if you can't get what your heart really wants you to do. Quite frustrating must say.