Another teaching question

C

I'm teaching on a course that I taught on last year. The students have to identify a journal article that is relevent to the course and write a summary and critique of it. During the seminars they also have to do a 10 min presentation on their article.

My question is does any one have any suggestions on how can I make those sessions interesting and preferably interactive?

Last year the sessions took place in computer labs and although I said not to all I could here during the presentations was click-click-click of key boards, and mouses. At the end of each presentation I got a sea of blank faces if I asked if anyone had any coments or questions. The presenter was usually happy to run awy and sit back down but I felt the session could have a better use of time.

I was bored, the students were probably bored and many only turned up on the week they had to present (or not at all as the presentations wern't formally assessed so nearly half didn't bother at all!)

J

Don't allow them to switch teh comuters on
Turn the chairs around so their backs are towards the screens (if possible)
Wander around and if the computer is on switch the screen off and glare.

As far as getting them to ask questiosn I play on their sense of group belonging and say that if they don't ask qestions I will and mine will be harder and if you don't ask people then they won't ask you and you will be left with my fiendish questions.

I had a class a few years ago where no-one said anything and I set an assessed session where they got marks for their contribution - eventually thy started to ask questisons.

B

I agree with Jepson- especially the turning monitors off and glaring bit. And asking difficult questions will definitely make students more forth-coming with their own. They'll 'be nice' and ask questions in the hope that others will return the favour (up)

Is there no way you can make the presentations count? As an undergrad, I had a class in which everyone had to do a presentation or else we would lose 5%.

C

I've been meaning to come back and thank you guys for your suggestions. First presentation session is next week. Still thinking of how to make it more interesting. May make everyone ask one person a question. Or get them into small groups (each including one presenter) and getting them to talk about the journal article so they can discuss it without having to do so in front of the whole group.

I'd still welcome any more suggestions.

As for the computer issues one class has now been moved to a computerless classroom. The other... I may ask evreyone to hand over their mouse! or possibly getting tech people to disable the internet for an hour....that'll confuse the students :p