Any advice for those of us who are starting in September?

C

I start a PhD in September (and will prob be part-time since the studentship reserve list isn't looking good) and like loads of other people on here I'm looking for one or two nuggets of advice to carry me through the first few weeks of the long yellow brick road....before reaching the Emerald City of the Viva many years from now.....

S

This is a fairly recent thread which talks a little about it.

http://www.postgraduateforum.com/showmessage.asp?thread=4656&cat=4&keyword=cornelius&newview=1&stype=TM&category=0

W

Hmmm I got some really great Red sparkly 'Ruby Slippers' at the weekend......maybe they will help me along my journey to find 'The Great and Powerfull Oz'????

H

In the beginning I said I would never let my PhD take over my life - it has! It is always there in the back of your mind - the further in you are, the harder it is to switch off. People may begin to get that "here she/he goes again" look on their face when you talk about your research. You will have some very high highs but some very low lows. Embrace both and know you need the lows to appreciate the highs. You will realise the only person who really cares about your work is you - this can be isolating and lonely (hence the need for forums like this). You also need "thinking time" - so if you have a day where all you do is check emails etc. that is fine - this is thinking time. All of the above is NORMAL. Do not fear, for the majority a PhD is a brilliant experience - although they might say that they wouldn't do it again! Good luck one and all!

C

Thanks, for your advice people (esp.hillyg)and I will check out that thread...

Oh, I'm so nervous, but still excited.....one of my friends said he is finding his PhD a lonely process two...I guess unlike undergad and taught postgrad you're the (usually) the only person you know working on a specific problem.....

C

I saw a great card in the Manchester Art Gallery shop today: it was pair of red glittery shoes with 'there's no place like home' written on it. Twee, but appropriate somehow... lol

A

good luck chris! I'm starting in September, too.

R

as am I, though I am continuing on from other study...and I suspect my university / dept. / supervisor are near the worst in the country I am just too lazy to move

But at least you have some freedom in a PhD to do what you want regardless of what your supervisor says - yes you need to meet certain milestones, but otherwise your life is your own. The way I like it.

P

It is such a lonely experience. hillyg says it perfectly...you are the only person who really cares about your work. Not your parents, not your supervisors, not your partner, nobody but you. The sooner you realise this, the easier it is. Good luck!