Any Advice

K

Probably Pie-In-The-Sky notions above my station being the Old'ish Lady of (66 Years.)
Retired & bored Health Visitor, working NHS two days weekly.
Have Masters in Public & Environmental Health. Contemplating whether I could manage or even be Accepted for PhD.
Length of course?. Cost?. Funding if any?.

Ideas?

I'm not too sure about fees - its all so up in the air at the mo. If you have a good project idea there's nothing to stop you self funding, at the mo the fees at my uni are about £3.5k. And have a look at the unis you prefer - there'll be departmental PhD funding competitions - if you see one you think you could apply for, then approach a potential supervisor at the uni and enter one of the competitions :-)

Also the research councils e.g. ESRC, EPSRC and others offer funding, as well as certain charities.

What I would say is that your age shouldn't stop you doing it - you can clearly use a forum which is well beyond my parents' (aged 62) abilities!

L

Kamilla,

I'm a few years younger than you, still working and looking ahead. I'll be starting my PhD in September 2011 after I complete my MSc in June. I'll be self-funding. I've had not problems being accepted for a PhD nor encountered any obstacles on my MSc. I've discovered that I enjoy research and writing and this gives me a framework for following my passions. I'm also passionate about my research interests. So go for it and if you want mutual support, send me a PM.:-):-)

K

To LBarns & Sneaks

Thank you both. Your comments gave me a twinge of something like 'might just be possible again!' if I could find / choose some a passionate 'easy' subject.