Any creative arts PhD candidates here?

R

Interested to hear your perspective as a creative arts PhD candidate ie. in dance, creative writing, music (other than musicology or music therapy), visual arts, film-making etc.

It's an area I'm least familiar with, and am curious to hear about your project(s) and how you approach creative arts research at PhD level.

Anyone?

B

Busy at the mo but ... you might find this link of interest:

http://www.artlab.org.uk/

My research combines creative design and technologies; and uses artworks as research tools. It has a practical element. However it is not one of those practice-based projects where you don't have to write a thesis. I have to write full thesis and present the practical elements and use them to support my theories. Personally I don't agree with practice-only research where you can get away with writing a 10k-word lousy report instead of a thesis. And some of the doctoral art students I know thinks they shouldn't even have to write the report, they say the artwork (outcomes) can be enough to convey the theory .

The link Goods sent is quite good by the way. I like their work generally.

R

Thanks Goods, I'll go check out that website in a second.

404 - how big does your thesis have to be and how much weight does your practical component carry in the final assessment? I have heard of the practical-only PhDs and I'm trying to understand how that compares with producing an original thesis that significantly contributes to current knowledge about the given topic. Interesting stuff.

The minimum word-count for any humanities, social science or art thesis at my university is 40000 words. This applies to my PhD as well. On top of that I have the practical element (artworks, prototype and a public exhibition). My initial proposal was for 50% theory and %50 practice. But I ended up with full thesis where the theory is supported with practical elements. I think I will need to put a percentage on it, and I don't think I could go more than %20 practice and %80 theory as some of my practice work ended up counting towards my experiments. It's very strange because I feel like I am doing 2 PhDs.

R

When you say 'experiments', are you referring to a scientific model where you have a control specimen, statistical analyses, specified hypotheses etc?