Any information appreciated.

W

======= Date Modified 09 07 2009 16:07:39 =======
Hello! I'm a first time poster and ... short time reader.

Having recently completed an MA in screenwriting, I was wondering about the possibilities of a PhD in the same. Could any kind soul with a couple of minutes give me a general outline of my options?

I'm in the London area and would like to continue with my current full time job while studying.

I haven't found any PhDs in screenwriting through searches at forums such as this one.

Bob.

PS Are PhD project areas always suggested by the university?

W

Reading back I realise my post may be too general.

a) I'd like to know how a PhD is for want of a better word 'found'. If I can't find a university that offers a PhD in a screenwriting related area, can I suggest a screenwriting related project to a university that offers screenwriting at postgrad level?

b) Does anyone have a rough idea of costs for a student that is self funded?

c) Is there a problem with studying for a PhD while working full time (other than the heavy workload)?

Thanks.

P

I think it would be hard to work full time and also do a PhD full time, it might not be impossible, but certainly extremely challenging. It would be like having two full time jobs. Is this really what you want to do?
Generally, I am not sure I understand what you would like to do for your PhD. PhD means research, so you would be researching certain aspects about scripts for film/tv (etc), what would that be? Did the MA include some part of writing yourself, and if that is what you want to do mainly, that is different from a PhD on screenwriting..
If indeed you want to research screenwriting and not actually write a script yourself, yes, why not approach universities/departments that offer MA's. I presume it would help to already have an idea of what aspect you want to research, and maybe some other departments might be more appropriate - film, media, history...?

W

Hi Poppy! Thanks for the reply.

I think it would be hard to work full time and also do a PhD full time, it might not be impossible, but certainly extremely challenging. It would be like having two full time jobs. Is this really what you want to do?

Yes, it is really what I'd like to do. I really enjoyed the MA (workload and all).

Generally, I am not sure I understand what you would like to do for your PhD. PhD means research, so you would be researching certain aspects about scripts for film/tv (etc), what would that be? Did the MA include some part of writing yourself, and if that is what you want to do mainly, that is different from a PhD on screenwriting..

Sure. I suppose what I've posted would be the equivalent of saying "I'd like to study for a PhD in electronics" without specifying what area.
I don't know which specific research area to be honest; I don't know if these research areas are suggested by the university or the student.

If indeed you want to research screenwriting and not actually write a script yourself, yes, why not approach universities/departments that offer MA's. I presume it would help to already have an idea of what aspect you want to research, and maybe some other departments might be more appropriate - film, media, history...?

Yes, I'd like a PhD. The actual screenwriting is a lot easier without tutors. :-)

So it'd be fine to think up an area of research and then approach a local university? Is this a common / the only approach?

Thanks!

S

In general, there are two ways of obtaining a place to do a PhD. The first would be to apply for a PhD that has already been decided by a particular supervisor and usually comes with funding, that you find on a website like this or a specific uni website. The other way is if you know what you would like your topic to be (there or there-abouts) you can find a supervisor with similar research areas to yours and approach them about doing your research with them. But approaching a supervisor is certainly a viable idea, but you would need to have a specific area that you would want to go into first.
In regards to doing a full-time PhD and workin full-time, I would say this would be extremely difficult, if not near impossible. I wouldn't have time for a part time job, let alone a full time one!!!!
Hope that helps.
Good luck!

W

Quote From starshine:

In general, there are two ways of obtaining a place to do a PhD. The first would be to apply for a PhD that has already been decided by a particular supervisor and usually comes with funding, that you find on a website like this or a specific uni website. The other way is if you know what you would like your topic to be (there or there-abouts) you can find a supervisor with similar research areas to yours and approach them about doing your research with them. But approaching a supervisor is certainly a viable idea, but you would need to have a specific area that you would want to go into first.

In regards to doing a full-time PhD and workin full-time, I would say this would be extremely difficult, if not near impossible. I wouldn't have time for a part time job, let alone a full time one!!!!

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

Thanks Starshine. Sounds like I've underestimated the work load involved.

M

It might be worth thinking about doing a PhD part time, not just because it would fit round full-time work better but also because it would let you spread the cost of fees - you'd have to find £1600ish a year instead of £3200ish.

I just Googled 'screenwriting PhD' and some interesting stuff turned up. Looks like a 'practice-based' PhD that includes writing a screenplay (alongside research) might be an option. Some interesting screenwriting-related projects here, for instance:

http://www.lcc.arts.ac.uk/10601.htm

I doubt you'll find a ready-made project to hop on to - I think you'll need to come up with a project and take it to potential supervisors. Whether in film departments, creative writing departments etc. I don't know... could your MA supervisor maybe point you in the right direction?

S

I don't know about your subject area, but in terms of doing a PhD while working full-time, it is possible, although you need to be really driven. I was doing this, and found that I was getting up at 5am doing a couple of hours studying before work, then more again at night. Every day. So, you really need to love your topic, and know about the sacrifices. It's hard, but doable.

H

Quote From WithoutAClue:

Thanks Starshine. Sounds like I've underestimated the work load involved.

Quite possibly. Essentially:
Full time PhD = Full time job + overtime.

If you were thinking of doing it part time then one thing you might like to consider is getting a part time research assistant post working in the same department as your proposed supervisor. The advantages of this are that the RA work might help you understand your PhD work better. You might also get reduced PhD fee rates - at some unis existing staff members pay lower tuition fees for any courses they undertake at the uni. The potential downside is that it can be hard to keep both camps happy - both your job and PhD will vie for more than 50% of your time. Other posters who have direct experience of this may wish to comment on the balancing act.

P

I do part time work and a full time PhD. That is the most that can be done and I have my fair share of crying days, and days of snapping and snarling due to sheer exhaustion. (and I also have lovely days with lovely things hapopening on the CV front)

All I shall say is that doing full time work and a full time PhD for the whole duration of the PhD is amusingly impossible. It is hardly a question of 'workload'.

it is not something one can do.

Period.

W

I had hoped the PhD would be a similar workload to the MA, which ticked along nicely with an hour a night and a few extra on the weekend. Obviously not the case. Doesn't look like it's a good fit for my situation at the moment.

Thanks for your replies. I'm in awe of anyone undertaking such a headache. You should all be proud of yourselves.

Or... medicated. :-)

One of the two.

Thanks again.

M

Don't forget a lot of people on this forum are doing lab-based science PhDs. I don't know exactly how arts PhDs compare (I haven't started mine yet) - I'm sure there would still be lot of demands on your time (lots of reading etc.), but not the same sort of requirement to be in Uni most days for instance.

Also don't forget there's the part time option.

And finally, assuming you find time to write anyway, it might be worth considering whether that writing could be part of a PhD project - meaning not every hour spent on the PhD would be 'extra' time you'd have to find.