Any Recommendations?

D

I'm going to purchase some books and would like some recommendations.

In terms of statistics, I'm very low in knowledge but it'll be a major part of my PhD in psychology. Could anyone recommend texts that start from the basics and would see a person through to PhD level?

In terms of SPSS, what do you feel are the best texts for 'talking' you through how to run tests and report the findings?

In terms of writing, what do you feel are the best texts for 'talking' you through the write up and structuring the thesis. I realise that this is an individual thing but some guides would be nice.

Many thanks.

G

Hving ot understood statistics for many years what I can recommend is get in touch with someone that does statistics for a living and get some lessons. Make sure that you understand what is behind it though or else you'll never be able to transfer this essential skill!

W

Andy Field's Statistics for SPSS:-)

D

Thanks for the replies. Andy Field is a must.

S

By Jae-On Kim & Charles W.Mueller: Introduction to Factor Analysis: what it is and how to do it
By Derek Rowntree: Statistics without tears
By Jeremy Miles and Mark Shevlin: Applying regression & corellation: a guide for students and researchers

and anything else you can find by Martin Bland

A

Hi,

For statistical knowledge I use Gravetter and Wallnau. Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences.

For SPSS I use the most AMAZING book. I really really can't recommend it enough. It takes you through tests step by step. Nicola Brace SPSS for Psychologists. I use the third edition which I bought in 2007 (after a PhD student recommended it to me for surviving my MSc). I would also recommend making friends with a lovely statistician and not worrying a huge amount about understanding the hardcore maths. Just try and get a feeling for what the tests do, why you use that test and the assumptions the data must meet.

Can't help with the structure of the thesis. Have read some but can't remember them.

Good luck.

A

D

Thanks everyone. I'll have a look at these and purchase the ones I feel most comfortable with.

Yes, that book by Brace et al is also a must, in my opinion.