Any suggestions please

P

I am in a weird situation. I have applied to many unis and my references live in diff parts of world. One of them with who I worked only last year and the other is my old prof who taught me in undergraduation. I have sent all the applications with their references thinking they would comment on my ability. I recently learnt from one of the unis that one of my references has given a really brief letter and that hardly explains about my abilities. I understand that both of them are extremely busy with their work; however I guessed a reference letter would be atleast a page long commenting on my performance and abilities. I know I cant ask him why has he done like that. One of the lady at one of the unis said, that reference letters are just a formality and as long as it is positive, it shouldnt be a problem, but i think it is one of most important things of my application. I have no idea what to do? I know many people who can comment really well about me and I have known them for ages now.

P

Can I change my referees now? Do the unis give me another chance to submit a different refree.Even if they do, they would ask me how did I know what is on the reference letter. How imporatnt is the references for the decision of an PhD application. I am confused . Any suggestions .welcome!

S

Take on board the advice about references being a formality, I can't imagine that the other applicants are getting references like- 'this bloke will change the world and win a nobel prize'.

The thing that universities will be most interested in is your qualifications, experience and personal statement. Then they will judge you at interview.

Remember, most references are short and almost pointless, so this isn't just exclusive to you, everyones references are like this, so you are not at a disadvantage

M

At least they send it on time

If it makes you feel better, change your referees for any future projects, not the ones you have already applied to, but I agree with Stu, this is not the most important part of your application.

W

I got a crap references. One paragraph about my abilites and performances which were great. And then two about my lack of integrity and honour because I backed out of a already accepted PhD offer to do my current one.

I still got the PhD. Ofcourse my current supervisors knew me and the reference was only a formality. But even when the references put it all on paper, I still got the PhD position! and a job with the same university!

P

oh! yes.. I did... he said.."i will be very happy to give u a reference". I also discussed my idea of reasearch and he gave his inputs as well...